siderman

Bushy w fixed handle & optics

So how much does it suk to mount optics with a fixed handle? I'm sure its preferable having a flat top but if theres a really good deal on a BM xm15 and a fixed carry can I live with a handle-top scope? Any of you guys run w that?

I tried it on my Colt (w/removable handle) for shits and giggles and found it to be awkward. Sometimes you just have to work with what you got though. If the handle isn't removable, the only other option is a forward mounted scope/red dot/etc. I like that for action shooting, but it is not optimal for long range accuracy.

How good of a deal? A flat top upper is $90 or so, so if the deal is screaming good, then buy the rifle, but a new upper receiver and have a someone swap the rest of the parts for you. Problem solved.

I do know someone who has a mini-acog in top of a charging handle and is pretty darn good with that combo, but thats an exception not the rule. Optics in top of carry handles (or even in front with a red dot) are not a pleasant combo.