Kaiser7

Wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions

I am a new gun owner, in fact, I've only had my Savage MKII for about a week, and I love it, but I was wondering if anyone knew a place to get a cheap rail for it. I have a nice NC star red dot sight, and I'd also like to get a low power scope for longer range work. (I don't have the best vision, so with bulls-eye style targets, I sometimes have a hard time seeing the center, plus learning to use a scope would be helpful for hunting, which I plan to transition into.) If anyone even has a used one, that would work great for me.

The other question was in regards to rifle ranges near Stratford NJ. I know of quite a few shotgun/ pistol ranges, but I don't know of too many that are 300yds or so.

And that brings me to my final question, I want to buy a semiautomatic rifle in a larger caliber. Of course, ARs are quite popular, but I wasn't sure if I should get one. I know that there was a panic when Obama was elected, and people snatched up most of the .223 and 5.56 ammo out there, even going so far as to buy up reloading supplies for that caliber. I was considering one in 6.5mm Grendel, but I figure that ammo alone is hard to comeby. I really like M1As, but I don't think there are too many out there that aren't very expensive, and I'm not sure if semi-only Mini-14s are legal.

Anyway, I just figured I'd throw my questions out there, and see what wisdom the NJ firearm community could give to me. Thank you very much.

I wanted a semi-auto rifle that was cheap and fun to shoot. I bought a Saiga 7.62x39 from Paul (PK90) in South Jersey. He sells the ammo for about $3.50 a box (15 per). I have paid as little as $200 for 880 rounds. That ammo is all-over the place, check it out. The rifle is cheap too, less than $500. The base rifle looks very plain. I just bought the same rifle that was converted with a pistol grip (among other things) and it looks 100% different!

This type of rifle is far less money to buy and far less money to shoot than the AR stuff (unless you have a .22 AR).

Which Savage mkii do you have?

Alot of people will tell you to get expensive glass for your rifle. Ive found that some of the budget scopes, like the BSA sweet 22 (made for 22 rimfire), are more than clear enough for informal target shooting.

I wanted a semi-auto rifle that was cheap and fun to shoot. I bought a Saiga 7.62x39 from Paul (PK90) in South Jersey. He sells the ammo for about $3.50 a box (15 per). I have paid as little as $200 for 880 rounds. That ammo is all-over the place, check it out. The rifle is cheap too, less than $500. The base rifle looks very plain. I just bought the same rifle that was converted with a pistol grip (among other things) and it looks 100% different!

This type of rifle is far less money to buy and far less money to shoot than the AR stuff (unless you have a .22 AR).

I Googled that gun, it is somewhat in the style of an AK? I've also heard good things about the Spanish CETME, and I must admit, the wood stock on it looks beautiful with what is otherwise a G3. I'll definitely keep that in condsideration.

Any other suggestions will be helpful, as I'm trying to see a lot of different things, so I can make the best decision for me. I guess my top price range would be about $1000 or so.

Sorry for the double post.

Which Savage mkii do you have?

Alot of people will tell you to get expensive glass for your rifle. Ive found that some of the budget scopes, like the BSA sweet 22 (made for 22 rimfire), are more than clear enough for informal target shooting.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not 100% sure. It has the accu-trigger, which likely only means it was probably manufactured after 2006. I know the MKIIs usually have like designations like GL for left handed, etc. all it says on my manual is "BOLT ACTION RIMFIRE : ACCUTRIGGER" and a few lines below that "MARK II TARGET"

Granted, I probably should have asked more questions when I bought it, but it was what I wanted. The action was smooth, it was new, and the bore seemed good (well, it better be if it's new), it had a 10 round magazine, and the stock was very nice. Plus I remember my Poppop speaking highly of Savage, and I figured things like spare magazines would be fairly cheap.

btw, the whole ammo thing is overblown. You were always able to get it with a little looking.

Right now there is plenty of it. Stock up on components and make your own.

If you want an AR, get an AR. They are adult lego sets.

btw, the whole ammo thing is overblown. You were always able to get it with a little looking.

Right now there is plenty of it. Stock up on components and make your own.

If you want an AR, get an AR. They are adult lego sets.

That's pretty much what my neighbor said. I've never been the biggest AR fan really, though lately I've been getting more into them. They do look pretty cool without the carrying handle. I worry though, because I feel like if I get an AR, that I'd likely end up looking for something in 6.5, and then realize how stupid of a choice that is, but I've read pretty good things on that caliber.

As for making my own ammo, I have done some research into handloading, and I think I'd like to get into it. Of course, since I also like Mausers and stuff, I figured it would be useful for the 8mm round, except that removing a berdan primer is kind of a pain in the rear. I think I might just might be in over my head now that I finally got my FID. Haha. There's so many guns I'd love to have, guns i'd like to shoot haha.

You can do it easier. Grafs sells new 8mm mauser brass, and bullets, already boxer primed. No need to mess with Berdan. Alternatively, you can buy new commercial 8mm ammo, and reload that.

OH! I was wondering if that was possible! I didn't want to say anything, and risk sounding like an idiot (or noob as airsofters say). If that's the case, you may very well have made a reloader out of me. Now I just have to find an affordable rig. I just worked 60 hours this week to save some for the new hobby, but now my check engine light is on, go figure. Thanks Maksim!