Sign in to follow this  
bobblahblah

New to scopes, few questions

Ok so I am pretty new to rifle scopes. I have never had to buy one, nor do I really know what I should be looking for in a decent scope. I was seeing if anyone could give me some advice or suggestions for a decent scope within my price range.

Right now I have a Sig 556. I love absolutely love this weapon. Great alternative to the standard AR platform. Being in the Army, I can easily hit 300m targets iron sighted or with a red dot, however there are certainly downsides to shooting that distance with no scope. I am looking into getting I guess a medium power scope that I can see what Im hitting better, and to get my grouping tighter. Just something I can throw on the top of my rifle for a different kind of shooting. Of course being in NJ, the furthest I can shoot here is 200-300yds...

So right now I am looking to spend $100-300, I know that isnt a lot but just seeing what I can get the most bang for my buck. If anyone has any suggestions or maybe what I should/shouldnt be looking for that would be great. thanks!

Wicked:

Midway has a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x in their latest sale brochure. Bushnell is discontinuing the 3200 and 4200 lines. They were great glass, especially for the dollars spent. I have one of each. It is a 1" tube with a mildot reticle with 1/10 mill adjustments. It is on sale for $199, leaving you $100 for a mount. The Burris PEPR mount seems to be popular and can be had with or without throwlevers for quick mount/dismount from the gun. Also available @ Midway. I think the QD version runs around $85 - leaving $15 for SHI. Hope that they haven't run out. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: Sent you a PM

Pizza Bob makes a great suggestion the Bushnell are great scopes. Three others are Leupold Rifleman series, Nikon Buckmark and Weaver scopes. The Weaver scopes are made by Leupold in the same factory as their namesake scopes. The Weaver line is the value line for Leupold.

http://www.opticspla...-6324-6325.html

http://www.opticspla...or-hunting.html

Click on the banner on the home page of the forum and the forum gets a percentage.

The Weaver scopes are made by Leupold in the same factory as their namesake scopes. The Weaver line is the value line for Leupold.

Wolfy:

While Weaver scopes are some of the best values, I think that you are confusing them with Redfield. At one time, in the recent past, Simmons, Weaver and Redfield were all owned by Meade Optical. The business plan was that Simmons was to be the low-end, Chinese-made entry-level glass. Weaver was to be the middle of the road product and was produced in Japan. They were going to resurrect the Redfield brand as a premium scope, made in the USA. They only completed 2/3's of that plan (Simmons / Weaver) before they sold them all off. Leupold got the rights to the Redfield brand. Not sure about the other two. I want to say that ATK or Omark got Weaver, but I'm just not sure.

Redfield is Leupold's value brand. I believe they currently make four models of scopes named the Revolution series - made in Oregon in Leupold's plant. They also have a spotting scope, binoculars and range finders, but these are imports (China, I believe).

I think the Bushnell 3200 is the best value for the money.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Did a little research - Weaver is now owned by ATK - parent company of Federal.

Great, thanks for all the suggestions! I am going to look more into all of those and see what I like the best and whats the best price I can find them at.

Mueller Scopes are high quality optics and are inexpensive. I've bashed mine around for years and it's never lost zero.