lunker

Red Wings Sporting Clays

I was thinking about going to Red Wing Sporting Clays down in south Jersey (by Atlantic City). Does anyone have any feedback on them, good or bad?

Is it comparable to Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays.

Thanks.

I was thinking about going to Red Wing Sporting Clays down in south Jersey (by Atlantic City). Does anyone have any feedback on them, good or bad?

Is it comparable to Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays.

Thanks.

Red Wings Sporting Clays is CLOSED for the "season". Camping season that is! They'll open back up again in September when the kids go back to school. Their main business is operation of the huge camp ground that the family owns. Sporting Clays are available September-May.

Nothing compares to Lehigh. Red Wing is nice, is near Smithville (great shopping), and at least half of the course is Lincoln Traps that are hand-cocked by a Trap Boy. All of the presentations go away from you or to the side. None come towards you at this point. Course is very challenging & fun. My friends & I have shot there. The place is primarily open on weekends, and week days are by appointment only, so call ahead to reserve an electric cart.

More remote than Lehigh. Still worth the trip, and you can get lunch in Smithville. We ate lunch at the Smithville Inn and had a bottle of wine. Nice day trip.

Dave

I shot there about 15 years ago with my father in law's neighbor who extended an invite to shoot clays and at his club. I had a great time. It was my first time shooting sporting clays and wish there was someplace closer that I could go. I would be more inclined for sporting versus trap and skeet. I wish I was able to make the Lehigh Trip...next time I hope.

Dave, I didn't take you for a shotgun kinda guy. Hmmm.... Shotguns and Revolvers, maybe you are an ok guy. ;)

I LOVE shooting Trap, I want to try Skeet and Sporting Clays sometime. The wife and I plan on going to Lehigh before the kids go back to school. Might bring some friends with us for the trip.

Chris, I've shot there many times. Smokin is 100% right on with his review..,closed for the season, nowhere near as nice as Lehigh, but for a quick trip its OK. They don't sell ammo, but if you call ahead they rent guns (I know you wouldn't need one, just an fyi).

To compare it to Lehigh would be like comparing Walmarts sporting goods section to Cabelas entire store... :-)

The problem I have with Redwing is each shooting position it tight, field of view, clay path, etc.. very short time frame to hit your target. I've seen. The same guys go 90/95 out of 100 at Lehigh and 40-50 out of 100 at redwing.... its the layout seems cramped, but that's the nature of the beast down there and they make the best of what they have. The folks are really nice there as well

Dave, I didn't take you for a shotgun kinda guy. Hmmm.... Shotguns and Revolvers, maybe you are an ok guy. ;)

I LOVE shooting Trap, I want to try Skeet and Sporting Clays sometime. The wife and I plan on going to Lehigh before the kids go back to school. Might bring some friends with us for the trip.

Mike,

As cool as Trap is, Sporting Clays is much cooler, due to the extended level of changing presentations. Some times the birds are coming AT YOU instead of going away.

I'm a member at Lehigh. I'm not a perfect shooter, I go there to just have fun with friends. Great place! I'd be interested in meeting you there at 9:00 am on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. They have electric controllers and gas golf carts. I usually don't ride in the cart, but walk the course. I use the cart for my gun, ammo, lunch/cooler, paper towels, D-Lead Wipes, etc. Standard COF is (17) stations with 100 shells to a full round. I usually shoot 125-175, going back to stations that we like to smack em' good. Lehigh has ice water in Igloo coolers every-so-often around the course, which runs through a former factory. About half of the course is wooded, so you get some shade too. Picnic tables near the turn by the big pond.

Let me know when you want to go and I'll be your "guide". Several Old Bridge members go there on a semi-regular basis.

As for you not knowing I'm a shotgunner, I don't like to brag but I do O-K in a few disciplines: PPC, IDPA, USPSA, Black Powder Pistol, Rifle, and ML Shotgun. If it can pump lead into the ground or sky, I've tried it, LOL!

See you around the ranges!

Dave

Chris, I've shot there many times. Smokin is 100% right on with his review..,closed for the season, nowhere near as nice as Lehigh, but for a quick trip its OK. They don't sell ammo, but if you call ahead they rent guns (I know you wouldn't need one, just an fyi).

To compare it to Lehigh would be like comparing Walmarts sporting goods section to Cabelas entire store... :-)

The problem I have with Redwing is each shooting position it tight, field of view, clay path, etc.. very short time frame to hit your target. I've seen. The same guys go 90/95 out of 100 at Lehigh and 40-50 out of 100 at redwing.... its the layout seems cramped, but that's the nature of the beast down there and they make the best of what they have. The folks are really nice there as well

Excellent point that I'd missed. Some of the rabbits disappear behind a downed tree. Some of the crossers hit a tree trunk before you can even see them in the air. Very challenging indeed! Thank God for the "look-sees", LOL!