Sign in to follow this  
njitmetal

FID and DL address match: question

My FID has the address of my mom's house. I never legally (until recently)switched my address to my apartment when I got married. My current DL does still have that address on the front of the card, but has the address change sticker affixed to the back. (My mom just recently moved to NC and I had to get my registration done so I had to change my address officially.)

I'm guessing this won't count as matching on the two, right? I mean, it does match if you don't look at the back...

I'm pretty sure i know the answer but wanted to verify. I'm hoping to move again relatively soon and don't really want to hassle myself with the FID change of Address twice in a short time period.

Mine is the opposite of yours.

My FID has my new address in woodbridge, the front of my drivers license has my old address in Colonia, and I have the " change of address " sticker on the back of my drivers license.

Pretty sure your FID needs to have the new address, and not the other way around.

When you have a NICS done. Two forms of ID including FID and DL MUST match addresses. If your FID has correct address and DL has moved address on rear you are fine. But your FID has to match that moved to address on rear of DL.

both MUST match.

Our of curiosity, can you provide the statute or administrative guideline that says the FID and DL must match?

I ask because NJSA 2C:58-3 says:

A firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of this section,

Thus, in my line of thinking, the FID is valid and usable even with a different address than the one on the DL.

Perhaps the reality is just that no FFL will transfer a firearm to you unless your FID and DL match?

Our of curiosity, can you provide the statute or administrative guideline that says the FID and DL must match?

Thus, in my line of thinking, the FID is valid and usable even with a different address than the one on the DL.

Perhaps the reality is just that no FFL will transfer a firearm to you unless your FID and DL match?

I would also like to see where this is coming from. I've always heard the same thing until recently, when an FFL told me that they are to advise you to get them to match but it is not an actual rule. :unknw:

Yea, both must match, i had issues and still do because my FID says the township i live in, and not the town, and a result every time i have to get something added to my license i have an ordeal to deal with, but it must match.

and to the guys question why, i was told because if your address changes, you must get an amended card with a new address on it, hense forth must be the same.

Yea, both must match, i had issues and still do because my FID says the township i live in, and not the town, and a result every time i have to get something added to my license i have an ordeal to deal with, but it must match.

and to the guys question why, i was told because if your address changes, you must get an amended card with a new address on it, hense forth must be the same.

I searched the statutes and administrative code. There is nothing about changing the address on your FID if you move. There's nothing about matching the address of an FID and DL. Nothing.

The statutes and code are clear that a COE and PPP must have your "permanant" address, but there is nothing about matching, comparing to DL or changing addresses to match.

There are statutes that say your address information needs to be updated on your DL and with the DMV. So, the legislature knows how to write a law like that if they wanted to. But, I haven't found it.

From where is this "rule" coming?!?!?!

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.11 Duplicate firearms purchaser identification card

(a) Persons shall apply for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card to replace a lost,

stolen or mutilated card, or in the case of a change of residence by the holder, within 30 days of such

loss, theft, mutilation, or change of residence.

(b) The applicant shall complete an application for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification

card designated as form STS-3 and a consent for mental health records search designated as form

SP 66 and present same to the chief of police in the municipality where the applicant resides or to

the Superintendent in all other cases.

© It shall be the responsibility of the chief of police of the municipality wherein the applicant

currently resides or the Superintendent in all other cases, to conduct a criminal history records check

and to determine if the applicant is subject to any of the disabilities as provided by law and this

subchapter and to issue the duplicate card, should the applicant qualify. The applicant shall pay the

appropriate fee for a Criminal History Record Check as established by N.J.A.C. 13:59 in accordance

with N.J.S.A. 53:1-20.5 et seq. (P.L. 1985, c.69).

• Like 1

(a) Persons shall apply for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card to replace a lost,

stolen or mutilated card, or in the case of a change of residence by the holder, within 30 days of such

(b) The applicant shall complete an application for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification

card designated as form STS-3 and a consent for mental health records search designated as form

SP 66 and present same to the chief of police in the municipality where the applicant resides or to

© It shall be the responsibility of the chief of police of the municipality wherein the applicant

currently resides or the Superintendent in all other cases, to conduct a criminal history records check

and to determine if the applicant is subject to any of the disabilities as provided by law and this

subchapter and to issue the duplicate card, should the applicant qualify. The applicant shall pay the

appropriate fee for a Criminal History Record Check as established by N.J.A.C. 13:59 in accordance

Wow...there it is. Thank you! That question has been irritating me for the longest time.

My search didn't include "residence." I assumed since they used "address" everywhere else in the statutes and codes, they would continue with the same vocabulary. :icon_e_sad:

My guess is that once it is determined that the address on the FID card is not the permanent address of the holder, it is invalid - period. The fact that they must match is not really the question, it’s just a tool used to prove the FID card is invalid if it doesn’t match the DL address. This logic assumes that the DL address is the correct and more accurate address, and I guess that's because it is the form of ID used when you apply for a FID.

I'm still not seeing where it says that they must match to make a purchase. It says you must apply within 30 days of a change of address.

Also keep in mind that Title 13 are "rules" not laws, what is the punishment for not complying with this rule?

There is no law saying they must match, BUT ....

1. Your DL address must be updated within 7 days of moving within the state to be valid.

2. Your FPID must be applied to be updated within 30 days of moving.

You may purchase FTF, but a dealer most likely will not sell to you unless they match.

ETA: You can not be charged with violating any law for not changing your FPID. You can be charged for failing to update your DL.

There is no law saying they must match, BUT ....

1. Your DL address must be updated within 7 days of moving within the state to be valid.

2. Your FPID must be applied to be updated within 30 days of moving.

You may purchase FTF, but a dealer most likely will not sell to you unless they match.

ETA: You can not be charged with violating any law for not changing your FPID. You can be charged for failing to update your DL.

I'm aware that most dealers will not do a sale if the IDs don't match, but what is the ramifications for them? Will it jeopardize their license? (assuming the DL has the current address)

No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of nor receive, purchase or otherwise acquire an antique cannon or a rifle or shotgun, other than an antique rifle or shotgun, unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a dealer under this chapter or possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, and first exhibits said card to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor, and unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder signs a written certification, on a form prescribed by the superintendent, which shall indicate that he presently complies with the requirements of subsection c. of this section and shall contain his name, address and firearms purchaser identification card number or dealer's registration number. The said certification shall be retained by the seller, as provided in paragraph (4) of subsection a. of N.J.S.2C:58-2, or, in the case of a person who is not a dealer, it may be filed with the chief of police of the municipality in which he resides or with the superintendent.

IMO, if the FPID has an incorrect address, then it is not valid.

ETA: After being told by the NJSP FIU that a FPID does not become invalid if one moves, I take back my statement.