KoKo

question about re-applying pistol permits

Depends on your town.

This is from Old Bridge records bureau:

Subsequent Application for Similar Permits:

1. Within two (2) years of the initial application, applicant must submit to a Criminal History Name Check (SBI212A form). A money order in the amount of $18.00 must be made out to the New Jersey Division of State Police (SBI).

2. Over two (2) years, applicant must follow Initial Application Procedures.

Applicants may apply Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

After speaking to the clerk about this, I found that they actually go by the last time you applied for a pistol permit. So, as long as you apply for one every two years, they don't require new prints. I don't think I'll ever get reprinted going by those rules.

If the same PD is reprinting you for new permits, and nothing has changed, i.e. address, name, or sex, they are going outside of what the NJSP guidelines. YOUR FINGERPRINTS DO NOT CHANGE.

When I got my initial FPID the packet said if it had been two years since applying for a permit then you had to be re fingerprinted. I just got 3 permits after almost 3 years since my initial and no prints were taken, nor did the new packet mention anything about it, go figure.

When I got my initial FPID the packet said if it had been two years since applying for a permit then you had to be re fingerprinted. I just got 3 permits after almost 3 years since my initial and no prints were taken, nor did the new packet mention anything about it, go figure.

Were you origional prints done on the card or electronic?

Harry

On a card, well 3 I think.

Ok, not sure if is an actual requirement but when I went to get P2P's I did have to go and get electronic fingerprints done, my old ones were 25+ years old and the card looked like crap. Not sure if that is why I needed to do them again or if any new FID's or P2P's need the new electronic ones, either way I am done and was told that I would need to get them done again in 6 years, not sure how correct that is but I hope to be out of the PR of NJ by then anyway.

Harry

If the same PD is reprinting you for new permits, and nothing has changed, i.e. address, name, or sex, they are going outside of what the NJSP guidelines. YOUR FINGERPRINTS DO NOT CHANGE.

No kidding. It even states that in N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.4. Unfortunately, they still do it.

g) An applicant for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser

identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same

licensing authority for which he or she was previously fingerprinted, and who provides an additional

valid identification document of his or her identity, need not be fingerprinted again. In such cases,

the chief of police or Superintendent shall otherwise fully investigate the applicant in accordance

with this subchapter. The chief of police or Superintendent shall require the applicant to complete

the New Jersey State Police, State Bureau of Identification (SBI) "Request For Criminal History

Record Information For Non Criminal Justice Purpose" form, and pay the appropriate fee

established by N.J.A.C. 13:59. Applicants unable to provide an additional valid identification

document shall submit to fingerprinting.

I just got back from the Old Bridge Municipal building to check out what they need for additional pistol permits.

• Within 2 years you must submit an SBI212A form and pay and $18 fee to NJSP in the form of a money order (what a pain in the a**)
  • After two years they want you to go through the entire initial FID process with the fingerprints from Sagem Morpho Universal (no mention of fees from them

I'm attaching their form here. Do you guys think this fall outside of what they can do based on the statutes? I feel both items do according to the research I've done.

PDF of Old Bridge's handout

The $18 is required with every application. In reference to the form, IMHO;

Initial:

#1 is okay

#2 is excessive and not necessary

#3 and #4 are okay

#5 and #6 are out of order, or do they want you to sign the FPID and PP prior to the issuance.

#7, #8 and #9 are okay

Subsequent:

#1 is okay

#2 is excessive and not necessary

• Like 1

I just got back from the Old Bridge Municipal building to check out what they need for additional pistol permits.

• Within 2 years you must submit an SBI212A form and pay and $18 fee to NJSP in the form of a money order (what a pain in the a**)
  • After two years they want you to go through the entire initial FID process with the fingerprints from Sagem Morpho Universal (no mention of fees from them

I'm attaching their form here. Do you guys think this fall outside of what they can do based on the statutes? I feel both items do according to the research I've done.

PDF of Old Bridge's handout

Dan:

The first is correct - the SBI 212A is in leiu of fingerprints.

If nothing has changed, the second one goes beyond NJSP guidelines and those of NJAC 13:54-1.4(g), as follows...

An applicant for a handgun purchase permit who possesses a valid firearms purchaser

identification card, or who has previously obtained a handgun purchase permit from the same

licensing authority for which he or she was previously fingerprinted, and who provides an additional

valid identification document of his or her identity, need not be fingerprinted again. In such cases,

the chief of police or Superintendent shall otherwise fully investigate the applicant in accordance

with this subchapter. The chief of police or Superintendent shall require the applicant to complete

the New Jersey State Police, State Bureau of Identification (SBI) "Request For Criminal History

Record Information For Non Criminal Justice Purpose" form, and pay the appropriate fee

established by N.J.A.C. 13:59. Applicants unable to provide an additional valid identification

document shall submit to fingerprinting.

But I dont think there is anything prohibiting the PD from requiring it, since this is not an additional requirement, it is an either/or requirement.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

My coworker said that he has to be fingerprinted if it's more than one year since applying in Basking Ridge. The worst part about it is it's not even a money grabbing scheme, the town PD gets none of the $60.25 for fingerprinting, it's all NJSBI. The town still only gets $2. It's just ridiculous. They're just cementing in the fact that laws don't apply to those in power.

My link - Link to instructions on right of page

Thanks guys. I'll submit to the SB212A being within their power according to the laws. I also agree that the post 2 years process of making you go through the entire "Initial" process is not within their authority. I will submit this to NJ2AS Operation Compliance for review.