Sign in to follow this  
M4BGRINGO

Pistol Purchase Permits

So, if my buddy and I want to swap handguns do we both need to have valid permits? What's the point? We both legally own the handguns and want to trade. No-go in this stupid state though, huh?

Second part: If I have mulitple valid purchase permits and have paid for several handguns but they are at different locations, can I try to apply for the purchase exemption that will allow me to pickup more than one at a time, or do all the handguns have to be at the same location (or FFL?). I am collecting revolvers but having to wait 30 days between pickups is rediculous. I can buy as many as I like and have them sit in FFL safes until 30 days have passed.

PS: I'd like to see all the lawyers and politicians that made these rules collect kidney stones everyday of their lives until they fix these rules! :icon_mrgreen:

There are two parts to the exemption paperwork. One part is a seller certification, which needs to be filled out by the seller, if you have more than one seller, you will need to do one form for each seller. The buyers form allows you to list the sellers for each gun separately, so there you will only submit one form. These can be handed in all at one time and approved (hopefully) together.

So, what's the chance that I would actually be allowed to take posession of multiple revolvers at the same time, is it worth pursuing? If it costs nothing except for my time to do the paperwork then I'll do that. I buy them, shoot them a few times (if at all), then put them in the safe. Just like the looks and feel of revolvers over my semi autos, plus they have a cool history.

So, what's the chance that I would actually be allowed to take posession of multiple revolvers at the same time, is it worth pursuing? If it costs nothing except for my time to do the paperwork then I'll do that. I buy them, shoot them a few times (if at all), then put them in the safe. Just like the looks and feel of revolvers over my semi autos, plus they have a cool history.

They are additions to your collection correct? that is partly what the eemption was put in place for originally. sadly a LOT depends on the wording on the form, as one person who put "My permits are expiring and I want to use Them".

Yes, adding to my collection. Just bought another one today, but it will sit for either 60 days, since I have another paid-for and sitting at another location, or maybe I can get the exemption to get them all at once. He also has a nice Colt Python that I may buy. Maybe I can pick that one up after Christmas.

Do all these handguns have to be at the same location for this exemption? I certainly do not want to pay one FFL to transfer a gun to another FFL just so that they can all be in the same place.

Yes, adding to my collection. Just bought another one today, but it will sit for either 60 days, since I have another paid-for and sitting at another location, or maybe I can get the exemption to get them all at once. He also has a nice Colt Python that I may buy. Maybe I can pick that one up after Christmas.

Do all these handguns have to be at the same location for this exemption? I certainly do not want to pay one FFL to transfer a gun to another FFL just so that they can all be in the same place.

I have not filed for an exemption, but from what I have read/heard the pistols can all be at different FFLs.

The guns do not need to be at the same location, you will be filling out separate seller certifications for each seller, they will want a copy of that for their records to prove compliance with the OGAM law. Once you have an approved exemption, you can then go pick up the handguns from the different sellers as long as your permits are still valid.

The NJSP has been granting collector exemptions readily from what I've seen and heard. So long as you are enhancing your collection and state so on the exemption paperwork, you have a very likely chance of getting it approved.