Luke_WO

What kind of reticle sight?

Hey guys.

So I own a couple of shotguns, but I'm going out to buy my first rifle next weekend. Most likely gonna be a Tikka T3 Lite in .270 Win Left-handed. I'm pumped, but that's not the point.

I'm looking at a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scope to put on it, and the only question I have is what kind of reticle to get. The same model offers either a 4-plex or an accu-range. They're almost the same, but the accu-range has a circle in the middle of it. Below are some pictures of the two types.

4-plex: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=4-plex+reticle&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=583&tbm=isch&tbnid=HO8Jdk1G1IGNXM:&imgrefurl=http://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/&docid=l-QXWLl93i7m7M&w=800&h=500&ei=CHV_TvDFKcPu0gGIjeEK&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=358&vpy=216&dur=642&hovh=177&hovw=284&tx=138&ty=80&page=1&tbnh=159&tbnw=218&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Accu-range: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=accu-range+reticle&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=wZu&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=583&tbm=isch&tbnid=b-IGMk64Wvd8nM:&imgrefurl=http://www.precisionscopes.com/redfield_revolution_3-9x50mm_rifle_scope_accu-range_67105&docid=d2dq8XxLcGsQtM&w=800&h=500&ei=83R_Tt_7OavK0AHR280O&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=955&vpy=218&dur=257&hovh=177&hovw=284&tx=153&ty=101&page=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=211&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have an opinion on if either one is better/easier to use, or if you just prefer one over the other. I like the classic look of the 4-plex, but I'm wondering if the circle on the accu-range would maybe offer an advantage? Any insight would be great. Thanks guys!

I feel like I'm less inclined to be sure of exactly where the crosshairs are on the deer before pulling the trigger with an "accu-range" type reticle. For a hunting weapon I say go 4-plex.

I agree. Seems easier on the eyes.

I didn't read the descriptions - just looked at the pictures :icon_mrgreen: . I'm assuming the circle is of a known diameter at a given distance amd thus would help you accurately ramge the shot.

Do you really think that with an eight-pointer in the crosshairs, your finger on the trigger and all that adreniline pumping through your body, you're going to stop and perform some kind of calculation and then holdover the correct amount? I didn't think so, so the circle becomes so much extraneous clutter in your scope. Go simple - go for the plex.

JMHO.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

All of my hunting scopes save for a couple of low-power models have a duplex-style reticle. They are fine for hunting. With a flat-shooting .270 Win., your rifle has a point-blank range of approx. 300 yards. with the 130 gr. bullet. That's a pretty flat-shooting load that also hits hard. At long range, chances are your image will look like this. What role does the circle-in-a-crosshair play when the range is extended? I would prefer not to see that. This is unbstructed view I'd prefer to see:

duplex-buck.jpg

Without getting fancy, you can use your duplex reticle to ascertain range if you know the size of the object you are looking at. Here is how you can use these to your advantage: Range Finding Reticles