Sign in to follow this  
BMWR12

Garand Value help

I have been offered a super nice unmessed with 4,660,7xx range 1953 Harrington & Richardson Garand rifle. The Rifle is 98% and all original/matching.It is not a import or CMP gun. Any idea on what it would be worth?

When you say the rifle is all original/matching, how did you determine it is original and matching? A 1953 surely has been arsenal reworked. Is the stock cartuched, if so what size DOD? Serified or un-serified circle "P"? I bought a "correct" 1955 HRA for $875 6 months ago........

When you say the rifle is all original/matching, how did you determine it is original and matching? A 1953 surely has been arsenal reworked. Is the stock cartuched, if so what size DOD? Serified or un-serified circle "P"? I bought a "correct" 1955 HRA for $875 6 months ago........

I will post some pics when I go buy it.

ANYTHING over 800-850 is WAAAAAAAY too much

There are many factors for granands as to grading and what constitutes correct.

Also what you are purchasing it for

As a point of reference I have a 1942 build that *is* 100% correct from the original sling down to the hammer and Saftey. I paid 900 delivered for it

Your post war hr is in the MAX. 800 range

ANYTHING over 800-850 is WAAAAAAAY too much

There are many factors for granands as to grading and what constitutes correct.

Also what you are purchasing it for

As a point of reference I have a 1942 build that *is* 100% correct from the original sling down to the hammer and Saftey. I paid 900 delivered for it

Your post war hr is in the MAX. 800 range

Maybe, but you should also consider that HRA rifles began at Serial 4660001. If he posted the correct SN, this rifle is within the first 800 M1 rifles that HRA produced.

Maybe, but you should also consider that HRA rifles began at Serial 4660001. If he posted the correct SN, this rifle is within the first 800 M1 rifles that HRA produced.

I've already considered that. IMO and it's mine only it's just a postwar hra. There are many other questions about the rifle that need to be answered....prior to dedfinitive value....

For me and me only if it was the first 50-100 I think the collector intrigue value is elevated...where do you draw the line on serial numbering as it related to value?

If the rifle is being bought as a shooter there is a value in that...if it is being bought as an investment there is a value in that.....BUT I thnk there are better collector buys than this....IF the price is closer to 1k or above....

For me and me only I think again anything over 800-850 is too much....

However I am NOT a garand expert....and such advice should be sought in the final value to be paid for that rifle....

I have posted the correct serial number and it is a extremely nice rifle. The gun to me looks possibly unissued, never fired and the owner has had it at least 50 years and never fired it. I am by no means a Garand or US weapons expert.I am a WW1-WW2 era German collector and have everything from equipment to original war time motorcycles. The only WW2 US gun I have owned was a Ohio Ordnance semi auto BAR.I want to expand my collection. The rifle is being offered at $400 and it is a no brainer to buy for that price. I don't want to take advantage of the older vet. I want to give a fair price to everything he is offering to me.

• Like 1

I have posted the correct serial number and it is a extremely nice rifle. The gun to me looks possibly unissued, never fired and the owner has had it at least 50 years and never fired it. I am by no means a Garand or US weapons expert.I am a WW1-WW2 era German collector and have everything from equipment to original war time motorcycles. The only WW2 US gun I have owned was a Ohio Ordnance semi auto BAR.I want to expand my collection. The rifle is being offered at $400 and it is a no brainer to buy for that price. I don't want to take advantage of the older vet. I want to give a fair price to everything he is offering to me.

Offered at $400 and your willing to give him whats closer to market value, good for you for not taking advantage of the gentleman.

• Like 1

The term UNISSUED...is a misnomer...AGAIN IMO once it left the factory it was issued....whether to warehouse stores or to unit etc..... what really matters here and to get to the nitty gritty is the markings on all parts....specifically the barrel and other bits... Retract the op rod and look at the barrel on the right side in the 'slot' what does it say....you need to break down the rifle and see the rest..

as far as offering a fair price I do believe, double what he is asking is fair....good for you for not looking to 'score' at his expense.....

post pics !...

interested in your bikes...all BMW? I ride a 98 1100RTP, would luv to check the old machines out ;-)

These bikes are a nightmare.... You have no idea. They are not like hopping on a 2011 Harley. They require lots of dedication and attention to keep them going.

Why would u want to hop on a 2010 Harley?

Airheads are a simple design it doesn't negate the fact though they need tinkering to run