madmnk78

reload data needed

Anyone have load data for Rainer leadsafe, .40 165gr RNFP, using bullseye powder? The best answer i can find via google is 4.6gr, but that seems a bit light - i've had some success with 5.4gr bullseye and speer 165 TMJ, oal 1.275, winchester small pistol. For some reason, there appears to be minimal data on 165gr. I see reference to 5.0gr and 170gr lead cast, but that's about it.

disclaimer : i'm new to the reloading process, and still focusing on "having it go bang, in a a good way", i'll play with other powders for accuracy/etc later.

thanks

We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.

Rainier

Drove me crazy looking for this info for my 9mm reloads. Then I went to Rainier itself.

Using the above I believe looking for Bullseye powder's recomendations for 165 gr lead bullets would suffice, if it existed.

I did a quick search and found this

.40 recipes

and Bullseye is nowhere on the list for 165 gr lead or FMJ.

If it were my fingers, I'd buy differnt powder.

Rainier

Drove me crazy looking for this info for my 9mm reloads. Then I went to Rainier itself.

Using the above I believe looking for Bullseye powder's recomendations for 165 gr lead bullets would suffice, if it existed.

I did a quick search and found this

.40 recipes

and Bullseye is nowhere on the list for 165 gr lead or FMJ.

If it were my fingers, I'd buy differnt powder.

I saw that on rainier's site - i was hoping for someone who's put together a load that matched.

but following the reduce 10% from FMJ recommendation they have, 4.6 should be ok (if a bit light), based on the 5.4 FMJ/TMJ loads i know work. or is my logic/math horribly off?

i'd much rather err on the side of caution though

for rainier, just use lead data. The core is very soft lead, and the plating is thin and fairly ductile.

For berry's double struck, I get pretty close to jacketed performance.

For xtreme plated, I'd knock a tenth off of max loads form most manufacturer's data, or just use JHP data. The smaller case volume of the JHP vs the tighter seal of the slightly more ductile plated bullet seems to be about even with them.