lionelfan

Model 1911 Chambered for 22LR

I am looking into purchasing a Model 1911 chambered for 22LR. I know there are conversions kits that one can purchase to retrofit 1911-45s that enable one to shoot 22LR. I plan to target shoot with this 1911-22 and the feedback that I have read generally recommends against a conversion set up. Below is a list of 22LR chambered 1911s that I found are currently available on the market. If I have missed any, please feel free to add them to the discussion. They run the gamut in price. What I am looking for is one that offers the best "value". "Value" means different things to different shooters - Here is the list of characteristics that I use to describe value: shooting accuracy, quality of materials, ammunition independence, simple dissembly/reassembly, cleaning ease and tuning (sight, trigger travel & trigger force adjustments).

I would like to hear from anyone who has used these 1911-22s and what they felt were their high points and low points relative to my value list.

Puma M-1911-22

Browning 1911-22 A1

Sig Sauer 1911-22LR

Chiappa 1911-22

ATI GSG M1911 HGA

Colt 1911 Government

Kimber 1911 Rimfire Target

I don;t have experience with any of them except the GSG 1911 that I just got last week, and shot a steel match with it the first for her first rounds down the pipe after stripping it and cleaning it.

The first stage I could have used a little more lube in the gun to that stage, but after I put more on her, I shot Federal bulk 36gr HP's the rest of the day with not a single problem. Great gun, I won;t say little because it's a 1911 and is very close in weight to many 1911's for the most part.

I guess that would also cover the Sig 1911 also, being they are the exact same gun with just different writing and marking on them. I don;t know the price difference between the 2 if there is any, but I will say the Sig Mags cost about 10-15 bucks more than the GSG mags, and yes they are the same mags.

I will say the GSG had a few problems with the guide-rod from the factory and early recoil springs that owners would sometime put on back-wards, but the new spring is not small on one end so that problem is solved, and I did pick up a all metal guide rid just to make me feel better. Also picked up some extended metal mag plates for OBRAMS, plus I like the look. :icon_mrgreen:

I'll let other chime in on your other selections,

Oh, as far as cleaning, the only thing that not right is you need remove a screw to get the slide lock out, I normally don't like having to use a tool to field strip a gun, heck they call it field strip, I should be able to shoot all day and take her down with just my hands.

Ammo, I mentioned it runs well on Federal bulk. so you can't get much cheaper than that for a coated bullet that is.

Trigger is nice out of the box, and am interested in seeing how she feels after a couple thousand rounds down the pipe.

Sights: I like an all black rear, I would like adjustable and probably will change that to a DP one being I already put a DP Fiber sight on the front the day I picked her up.

Accuracy, probably a lot more accurate than I am and like I said I did work on the gun and swapped out a front sight prior to shooting it, I shot a steel match with it and no, never got to Zero the gun either and I think I did ok for a beginner.

As far as other things you can do the the gun as far as work or upgrades, well they say it's compatible with 80% of the 1911 parts out there, I don;t know about 80%, I might go as high as 35-40% and would be happy, any more and it will be even better.

Think that covers most of what you would be looking for and the best I can do only shooting it 1 afternoon in a match, but we do have plenty of others here that have this same gun that will add to this if I missed anything.

I shot the ATI GSG 1911-22 that they have for rent at shoreshot. In fact I think it was the first handgun I ever

shot. I rented it a couple times after that. Probably put a total of 300 rounds or more through it and did not

have any issues that I can recall (and that's on a rental!). Very fun gun. Can't rate the accuracy cause I was a

new shooter then,but even so it seemed pretty good.

I own the Kimber conversion. Personally I love the conversion and with the right ammo (CCI Mini Mag, Blazer is what

I use) it's great and very accurate. I think the Kimber Target 22 upper is the exact same as the conversion from

what I could tell when I handled one, except the lower is lighter, maybe aluminum?

As for the others type in model in google followed by the word 'forum' and you'll get a lot of personal opinions

on them and you can kinda weight them out.

I have the Sig 1911-22, which is essentially the same as the GSG 1911-22 and I have to say it is a really fun handgun to shoot. It handles just like a 1911 but without the recoil. It is a little finicky on ammuntion and prefers higher velocity rounds, but as others have stated, it works nicely with the Federal, and others that it likes. I have gotten additional GSG mags for it that are cheaper than the SIGs and they appear to be the same quality as the SIG magazines that came with it. The magazines are metal and you can load them easily with your by thumb pulling the spring down, however, I don't like the plastic piece on the bottom of the magazine and think it could break if you dropped the magazine out of the gun. <BR><BR>My favorite thing about this gun is the trigger; It has an awesome trigger! My least favorite part is the grip safety. I don't really like them, so I am biased anyway. And, although there is nothing wrong with the sights, I am not crazy about them and would like to upgrade them to all metal or maybe fiber optic. I wonder if it will take standard 1911 sights. And, of course the 1911-22 works just fine in 1911 holsters. I think it is nicely made with the beautiful wood grips, etc., but it strikes me as being a little on the delicate side, especially side by side with a Ruger. But, I don't plan on throwing the gun around, etc. Overall, I am very pleased with it and it is one of the most enjoyable guns to take to the range. <BR><BR>I strongly recommend it. Out of the OP's list, I would say that the GSG 1911-22 is hands down, the best value. The only reason I got the SIG over the GSG was because I got it at a very good price and I like the grips. Additionally, now I can say I own a "SIG". If the SIG/GSG came in a 9mm, I would probably get that one, too. If anybody has upgraded the sights, please let me know.

I have the Sig 1911-22, which is essentially the same as the GSG 1911-22 and I have to say it is a really fun handgun to shoot. It handles just like a 1911 but without the recoil. It is a little finicky on ammuntion and prefers higher velocity rounds, but as others have stated, it works nicely with the Federal, and others that it likes. I have gotten additional GSG mags for it that are cheaper than the SIGs and they appear to be the same quality as the SIG magazines that came with it. The magazines are metal and you can load them easily with your by thumb pulling the spring down, however, I don't like the plastic piece on the bottom of the magazine and think it could break if you dropped the magazine out of the gun. <BR><BR>My favorite thing about this gun is the trigger; It has an awesome trigger! My least favorite part is the grip safety. I don't really like them, so I am biased anyway. And, although there is nothing wrong with the sights, I am not crazy about them and would like to upgrade them to all metal or maybe fiber optic. I wonder if it will take standard 1911 sights. And, of course the 1911-22 works just fine in 1911 holsters. I think it is nicely made with the beautiful wood grips, etc., but it strikes me as being a little on the delicate side, especially side by side with a Ruger. But, I don't plan on throwing the gun around, etc. Overall, I am very pleased with it and it is one of the most enjoyable guns to take to the range. <BR><BR>I strongly recommend it. Out of the OP's list, I would say that the GSG 1911-22 is hands down, the best value. The only reason I got the SIG over the GSG was because I got it at a very good price and I like the grips. Additionally, now I can say I own a "SIG". If the SIG/GSG came in a 9mm, I would probably get that one, too. If anybody has upgraded the sights, please let me know.

The gun will not take a normal 1911 front sight, the dovetail is not standard so I would suggest if you want to go with a Fiber front sight you can get one from Dawson Precision. Check it out here also I don;t like the rear sights with the 2 dots, I will black them out for now, but I'll be putting a DP rear sight on soon.

As far as the Mag base, I got the these from CW, I got the longer ones for OBRAMS, I also swapped out the guide rod from CW also.

As far as the grip safety, you can disconnect that and also the Mag disconnect safety also, I haven't done either just yet, but probably will soon enough.

Oh as far as ammo, I like that it shot 36Gr Federal HP all day long with no problem at all, had issued with CCI but that was just the gun needing to break in a little, and it does like a little extra oil for the first time or 2 out. Other than that, Jon shoots CCI with not a hiccup and I have shot the Federal bulk and I forgot what Iggy O shoots through his but I think it also a regular bulk ammo.

The gun will not take a normal 1911 front sight, the dovetail is not standard so I would suggest if you want to go with a Fiber front sight you can get one from Dawson Precision. Check it out here also I don;t like the rear sights with the 2 dots, I will black them out for now, but I'll be putting a DP rear sight on soon.

As far as the Mag base, I got the these from CW, I got the longer ones for OBRAMS, I also swapped out the guide rod from CW also.

As far as the grip safety, you can disconnect that and also the Mag disconnect safety also, I haven't done either just yet, but probably will soon enough.

Oh as far as ammo, I like that it shot 36Gr Federal HP all day long with no problem at all, had issued with CCI but that was just the gun needing to break in a little, and it does like a little extra oil for the first time or 2 out. Other than that, Jon shoots CCI with not a hiccup and I have shot the Federal bulk and I forgot what Iggy O shoots through his but I think it also a regular bulk ammo.

Anyone got Dawson Precision coupon code ?