ronhonda

USPSA @ Old Bridge 11/27/11

When you get the chance, please share your thoughts on shooting the two different platforms. Tanfo comparo with the SVI.

Here are my thoughts on the 2, I have 2 tanfos 4 STI 2011

Trigger, they can both be close, but 2011 will always be better with tuning and will be safer, Tanfo halfcock notch gets in the way of a short pull trigger and needs to be filed down some. The factory Tanfo sear is crap. I like the straight back pull of the 2011, but that personal preference

Safety. I prefer the 2011 safety, the tanfo is too low and my weak hand thumbs hits it. I had to grind away at it to get a better fit

Grip safety, tanfo doesn't have one so its a little more comfortable, but I deactivate my 2011, so its a wash

Trigger guard, the guard on the tanfo is to low to get a really high hold on the gun. Its my main issue with the gun

Grip, tanfo grip is more comfortable for my strong hand, less for my weak hand. But with the new SVI metal grips, you can have the feel of the tanfo, but the grip costs almost as much the tanfo

Cost, Tanfo wins easy.

Sights, Tanfos rear LPA sight is crap

Longevity. Tanfo frame will peen at the guide rod without a henning cone rod.

The tanfo is a little heavier but I haven't had any issues with the weight (transitions etc.). The light weight slide is nice

Mags are about even now with the new Tanfo mags. Before STI mags were much better. You can jam the same amount of rounds in either and they cost about the same, Tanfo slightly cleaper

Shooting. They are about the same, the weight on the tanfo frame soaks up a little more, but with a milled slide on a STI, they are about the same, The plastic frame soaks up a good amount of recoil also

I think the STI/SVI are better guns, but they are atleast 2x the cost, the tanfos are a cheap way to get a limited that only needs minor upgrades to be competitive. One will not make you a better shooter

ETA: The finish is cerakote over hard chrome, it has worn off in a lot of areas.

• Like 1

My back up gun has a medium flat trigger on it. Don't really care for it and was thinking of going back to the curved, A flat trigger on a hinged mechanism doesn't feel right to me, its like my finger is slipping off the trigger face.

For trigger jobs, I had help with one as I needed to have the holes reamed out for oversized pins (henning parts), The other I did myself (EGW). If you get henning prepped sear, it might drop right in or will only need a little bit of work, mine dropped in fine but nneded work to prevent hammer bounce when dry firing. A EGW sear will need a lot more fitting on the sear leg and safety leg. Then you just polish all the parts, pretty easy.

Thanks for your reply! I don't know anything about internals of guns. If I do change with EGW sear, I may just have to drive to their office in PA since it's only 2 hrs away and have them do it.