Sign in to follow this  
glenhunter

Here's my Gun Question...............

I am a citizen of N.J. and have been most of my life. I did live in Florida for five years and while there bought a handgun for home defense and for target shooting. After moving back, several years ago, I never registered the gun nor do I use it. Please tell me what steps are that I need to take in order to be in line with N.J. regs. I already possess a FID card and own and have owned several long guns and am a hunter. Thanks for you time.

gh

Thank you for the quick reply. One more question. Can I transport it to a gun range either in state or out of state (N.Y.) as I live five minutes from the N.Y. state border and close to a N.Y. gun range (within ten minutes) in a locked gun box where it currently resides? Thank you again.

gh

The gun in question is a 357 Magnum. Thanks

gh

As stated above, you're good to go, no registration is required.

Do not take a handgun into NY. Unless you are an Olympic shooter or attending an NRA sponsored event in which you are a participant, there are no other legal reasons for you to have a handgun in the state of NY. People have even been hassled just passing through NY while protected under the Federal Firearms Owner Protection act.

As to going to a range in NJ, you must follow the NJ transport laws. The relevant part is: shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Basically, throw it in the trunk, go to the range and come home. Avoid unnecessary stops. Getting Gas is reasonable, dinner and a movie is not.

As to the gun, a .357 Revolver is perfectly fine.

You should hang on to any paperwork you got when you bought the gun (which in Florida would probably only be a bill of sale) if you still have it, on the off chance you would ever need to prove you purchased it legally this would be your proof.