M1152

Sagia 8 rd to 10 rd ?

Oops, my bad. It's from my old days on the Saiga forums. Saiga-12 Russian 8 rounders, and increasing mag capacity, were always popular topics, and as a NJ resident I could only watch and drool.

Please resume your regularly scheduled thread. :)

Yes,

I have done it and it works perfectly. Be sure to bevel the legs to avoid the spring hanging up when loading the mag(posted in that thread as well a while ago).

922 compliance is not applicable as you have not changed the sporter configuration, nor have you used any additional parts.

Yes,

I have done it and it works perfectly. Be sure to bevel the legs to avoid the spring hanging up when loading the mag(posted in that thread as well a while ago).

922 compliance is not applicable as you have not changed the sporter configuration, nor have you used any additional parts.

you have increased the magazine capacity...

altered it from its original imported state...

while I would like to agree with you.. it will take more than simple opinion to get there...

cutting a barrel down to 7in does not add any extra parts.. but it most definitely triggers NFA rules..

• Like 1

certainly not the end all of legal advice but..

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saigapartsall-magazines-c-25_35.html

The Saiga Rifles and Shotguns are imported in a sporting configuration and must be modified to comply with 922r if a high capacity magazine is being used. High capacity is considered magazines with capacity greater than 10 rounds for a rifle and 5 rounds for a shotgun.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2003/aprqtr/pdf/27cfr478.11.pdf

Large capacity ammunition feeding device.

A magazine, belt, drum, feed strip,

or similar device for a firearm manufactured

after September 13, 1994, that

has a capacity of, or that can be readily

restored or converted to accept,

more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

The term does not include an attached

tubular device designed to accept, and

capable of operating only with, .22 caliber

rimfire ammunition, or a fixed device

for a manually operated firearm,

or a fixed device for a firearm listed in

18 U.S.C. 922, Appendix A.

I’d purchased the aftermarket 10 rd mags and they suck. A friend in another forum advised me that would be the case and I should have listened. As I found out (and everyone else here probably already knows) aftermarket mags have to be filed it to fit to just to get the mag release to work. Even after all that filing it is still tighter than a bull's azz on fight night….

I recently picked up two factory mags so I may try the mod on one and see how it goes. FWIW on the 922 issue I don't need anything larger than 8 or 10 because I don't reload and it is a little pricy to shoot 308 anyway. That don't mean I'm in favor of NJ mag restriction, it just means I *think* I'm conserving by only loading 5 or less at a time. BTW I really like the Saiga. I tried to get one last year but there was some confusion over the legality of the Saiga and/or model type but that’s another story for another day…

Let’s hope for some Pro NJ Gun legislation in the New Year because it has been going in the wrong direction for too long now. Thank you all, have a Great 2012!

I’d purchased the aftermarket 10 rd mags and they suck. A friend in another forum advised me that would be the case and I should have listened. As I found out (and everyone else here probably already knows) aftermarket mags have to be filed it to fit to just to get the mag release to work. Even after all that filing it is still tighter than a bull's azz on fight night….

I recently picked up two factory mags so I may try the mod on one and see how it goes. FWIW on the 922 issue I don't need anything larger than 8 or 10 because I don't reload and it is a little pricy to shoot 308 anyway. That don't mean I'm in favor of NJ mag restriction, it just means I *think* I'm conserving by only loading 5 or less at a time. BTW I really like the Saiga. I tried to get one last year but there was some confusion over the legality of the Saiga and/or model type but that’s another story for another day…

Let’s hope for some Pro NJ Gun legislation in the New Year because it has been going in the wrong direction for too long now. Thank you all, have a Great 2012!

if your rifle is not converted.. do the work.. the difference will amaze you..

@ vladtepes - I'm actually pretty happy with it “as is” that said I would like to get another Saiga in 7.62x39 and convert that that one. For next year I want an AR type carbine and another Saiga , that’s the short list. So if you could help with what’s NJ legal as far as the conversion I’ll give it a shot. That probably wouldn’t be until March or April.

Got the mag to work with the 10 rounds after three shots at it. I didn’t want to take too much off. But just like the post says 1.25 & .85 did it. I have those calipers from harbor fright. Got hit in the head with the follower once but all is good,, it’s working perfectly. the other key is to bevel the inside as mention earlier

@ vladtepes - I'm actually pretty happy with it “as is” that said I would like to get another Saiga in 7.62x39 and convert that that one. For next year I want an AR type carbine and another Saiga , that’s the short list. So if you could help with what’s NJ legal as far as the conversion I’ll give it a shot. That probably wouldn’t be until March or April.

Got the mag to work with the 10 rounds after three shots at it. I didn’t want to take too much off. But just like the post says 1.25 & .85 did it. I have those calipers from harbor fright. Got hit in the head with the follower once but all is good,, it’s working perfectly. the other key is to bevel the inside as mention earlier

converting it will LITERALLY create an entirely different rifle... I can not stress to you the night and day difference.. the trigger will be smoother.. break better.. and the rifle will be more balanced...

as far as what you can do.. it is just a numbers game.. you just need to include enough US made parts... check out the links in my signature they will help you...

before you buy another one.. take that money and invest it in converting your existing gun.. you wont be sorry.. lol

god luck with the AR.. I have dealt with Bravo company... and also have a Spikes upper now.. both nice inexpensive options if that is what you are looking for...

@ vladtepes, As far as the Saiga conversion a fellow forum member over on THR says I should convert one. I guess you and him have allot in common. I wish I knew what he forgot about weaponry, here’s his conversions but he is NOT in NJ so I don’t know if those posted (minus the mags) would be NJ complaint. Again for us it goes back to the NJ compliance thing. If/when I convert it’s likely to be the 7.62 x 39 and if I like the end result maybe I would think about converting my 308. The smaller caliber has to win me over first. Thank you, I will look at your links for a resource.

I always hear how great the AR is so I figured it’s time to get one to find out for myself. I’ve had Mini’s for years and anyways liked them. In the last couple of years I picked up two Su16’, an SKS, a few Mosins the the one Saiga (so far). I have to admit the AR is a little confusing for me. Piston vs DI, build or buy, short or rifle length barrel, 223 or 5.56 and on and on and on. I checked out a Stag Arms/NJ Compliant in a local shop and I admit I liked the look and feel so right now that is the leading contender unless I find another NJ Complaint River Rocks or something similar within the same price range.. In the meantime determine which one I really want.. I'll stop right there since those two thoughts are ringing in about a $1000 +. First thing first, pick out a model and secure the funds. At that point when I'm ready for the AR perhaps I'll even post here in the price quote section and what the forum vendors could do...

So for 2012, here's my wish list, an AR, another Saiga, and maybe the new Kel-Tec shotgun and last but NOT least MOVE out of NJ...

Back to the Factory 8 rounds mags, pick up new coping saw blades at HomeDepot and was able to do a second mag in half the time on the first try. That was a fun project. I was albe to load and unload the mags without any binding, I think the mags will work nicely

P1030977.jpg