Does anybody read the paper every day? The Times of Trenton basically EVERY day has a shooting story. Some gang member, yahoo, criminal or other person is popping off his probably illegal gun. I would guess it is the same or worse in Camden and Newark.

So today they report: Home struck by five rounds... officers recover casings.... .762 caliber hunting or assault rifle.... no injuries..

OK NO TYPO HERE .762 cal. So it was micro bore or cannon bore, I don't know. Yes yes I am probably nit picking a Times typo but often they are ignorant. Sometimes a mag is clip and vice versa and so on.

But here is my serious question. What is the homeowner's legal recourse to fight back? Can I exit my house with my weapon and blast away? Must I stay inside and respond from a window? (Ah, the good old days of Josey Wales LOL) Must I call the cops and pray my rosary?

It's fine if this gets zero or 100 responses but can I get the right answer?

Thanks.

So today they report: Home struck by five rounds... officers recover casings.... .762 caliber hunting or assault rifle.... no injuries..

OK NO TYPO HERE .762 cal. So it was micro bore or cannon bore, I don't know.

Typo. Most likely, it was a 7.62x39 (AK/SKS), maybe a 7.62x51 (308 bolt or semi-auto), or least likely 7.62x54R (Mosin Nagant).

In New Jerseystan you have no recourse when being shot at. You're expected to hide in your home and call the cops. Because of our weak/non existent Castle Doctrine you can't shoot unless they come into your home.

As to the article, I'm gonna say it was 7.62x39. When they use assault rifles, they go for the cheapest on the street and thats the one.

In New Jerseystan you have no recourse when being shot at. You're expected to hide in your home and call the cops. Because of our weak/non existent Castle Doctrine you can't shoot unless they come into your home.

Thank you mgralley. May I expand this a bit? IF NJ had CCW would this change the legal response? CCW must mean you can defend out on the street, no?

Another point about the citizens response - legal or not. Where do you hide when center fire rifle rounds are coming thru multiple walls?

BTW this is more than academic. The incident is recent history.