Is transporting a handgun (properly in the trunk, separate from ammo, etc) permissible between my own private property and the private property of another consenting person acceptable in NJ?

No. A handgun is illegal everywhere unless you are within the specific exemptions, ie directly from home to range, to gun shop, etc. A friend's house is not one of those exemptions.

• Like 1

Not sure if I understand...

So you are proposing to drive with a pistol and tell the officer that you were just going to show it to a friend? It will still need to be secured properly in accordance to all our crazy NJ transporting laws.

I don't plan on anything this is more of just an academic type question. It just seems so ridiculous that NJ forbids us from transporting a handgun to someone else's private property even if we have their consent.

This is what I was looking for. What about a long gun?

If you have a Firearms Purchaser ID, you make take it to their house and display it to them. If they handle it and you are not at a range or training facility, that is considered an illegal transfer.

As long as you are driving on a public roadway you would have to follow the law. Also as long as its in your trunk, LEO's can't search your trunk without a search warrant, you probably shouldn't have a problem transporting the firearm, but it would not be legal.

I don't plan on anything this is more of just an academic type question. It just seems so ridiculous that NJ forbids us from transporting a handgun to someone else's private property even if we have their consent.

the reason is simple.. they do not want guns on the "street" any more than they must allow.... allowing you to bring your guns to your friends house opens up an indefinite loop hole.. in which any time you are traveling.. you could bring your gun and simply state you are going to a "friends" house.... right or wrong.. that is the mindset..