Sign in to follow this  
mr_c

Vang Comp Barrel

If you are talking about what Vang Comp do and are good at doing, in reference to porting, honing, and back-boring, you will see better accuracy, much tighter groups, and reduced recoil with the porting as well as decreased muzzle rise.

It all depends on what you want. I've heard of PD's buying these barrels, they want tighter groups to put more pellets into the target, especially at longer distance if the officer doesn't have a rifle in his car.

A police magazine I usually pick up every so often had a really cool article comparing a bunch of different 'duty-type' shotguns, all customized out the a**. I wish I still had it, I would have scanned it and sent it to you.

Is it worth it? I would read up on them and make sure that is what you want. I know that this type of work is not cheap. Are you going to buy a Vang Comp barrel or send your barrel in? My guess is buying their barrel might save you a couple bucks than getting all the work done but who knows.

I dont know anything about Vang comp in particular, but I can tell you two things

Back boring works.

Ported barrels do not.

Ported barrels are an awesome marketing gimmick as far as shotgun are concerned. All they do is add a bunch of holes that you need to clean. By the time the base of the wad clears the ports, the pressure in the barrel has plummeted to useless levels. Shotguns use pistol powder! This means all its velocity is gained in the first foot or so. Ports need pressure to work, and with a shotgun they dont have any. Ports are usefull on guns like the 500 S&W where even at the muzzle your pressures are still crazy high and you still have burn.

Try putting masking tape over the ports of a shotgun. It usually wont blow off. Again, ports by their design need pressure to work and if it cant even blow off masking tape then how is it forcing the shotgun down?