Sign in to follow this  
Regulator72

1903 Dark Bore..

So, i got in on the CMP 1903 batch they got back in Sept or so.. Mine is a Mark I, from 1919. Overall it's in decent shape for what it is.

I cleaned the rifle, and had a chance to shoot it at CJRPC about 2 weeks ago. Once sighted in, we were hitting steel plates @ 100yds with ease..

The cmp tag states that she has a dark bore.. is this something that can be reversed? I've already cleaned it a ton and the rifling is more prevalent than it was originally.. I used Hoppes and a brass brush, tons of patches. Yesterday I used KROIL and some JB paste, along with a Stainless brush.. I let the kroil sit over night before I cleaned.. the patches looked like it's never been cleaned in it's almost 100 years....

I know I won't get a mirror finish in there, but am I wasting my time trying to get it nicer? should I jut be happy she shoots good and I have one and leave well enough alone? is there a better way?

lastly, what the thoughts on using stainless brushes Vs brass? I know the brass if fool proof for the most part, do any of you use stainless in modern firearms?

I kinda like to think the bore is seasoned.....

If there is NO pitting and there are sharp grooves and lands...whats the big deal???

YOU need to get the REAL Rifle bore cleaner....the old stuff...some guy is sellingit online right from WWII...

I have a polish muaser that had sharp grooves and lands...dark bore though...shot great.....but wanted to clean it a bit...

Plugged the muzzle...poured some down..and with a plastic brush, srubbed the bore and let it sit overnight plugged with the cleaner in it.....

Next day...drain and normal cleaning...not a mirror but yep cleaner....

I dunno I do not stress...these are BATTLE rifles.....not benchrest, using my million power scope at 100yard and I need to shoot the hair off a fly kinda rifle...plates at 100 yards...minute of man...with a good but kinda dark bore????

don't stress....shoot and enjoy that fine piece of history....

The 1903 is a VERY nice rifle......and they can and do shoot great...many were and are used in matches due to accruacy etc...

To me they are still undervalued......

I put my RA 03A3 in a C stock and it is, just WOW.....what a gun...I will NEVER EVER sell it....

The only thin gis YOU need MORE than one !

google search an DIY electric bore cleaner. I built one and it works wonders. I bought a 1917 with what looked like a sewer pipe and after a treatment it looked darned perfect. It's simple and works wonders.