Sign in to follow this  
JaredC

sig sauer mosquito mini mag bulk question

i bought a sig sauer mosquito.... i was told to buy the cci mini mag ammo in 40 grain... in the catalogs i see .22 mini mag LR 40 gr solid 100/box for 6.08

does anyone sell this in bulk like the other rounds i see.... 525 rounds 1000 rounds etc?

I've never seen it. I'd buy it. Try the AR Tactical ammo. That comes in bulk and is cheaper than mini-mags. Mini-mags are better but if your gun likes the AR Tac you're good.

Start with the mini-mags as your baseline and then try cheaper stuff to see what it likes. My 15-22 will eat everything I've tried. My Buckmark Camper is more finicky.

I've never seen it. I'd buy it. Try the AR Tactical ammo. That comes in bulk and is cheaper than mini-mags. Mini-mags are better but if your gun likes the AR Tac you're good.

Start with the mini-mags as your baseline and then try cheaper stuff to see what it likes. My 15-22 will eat everything I've tried. My Buckmark Camper is more finicky.

yea i was told that the mini mags are the only one the gun will shoot without jamming....

Do yourself a favor and try CCI Blazers they're cheap and shoot well through everything I own including my mosquito. I buy them on line for usually around $160 a case.

whats the difference between those and minimags? i just dont want to deal with jams lol

CDNN usually has minimags on sale throughout the year for $5.65/box shipped. My last order was for 5k of them.

whats cdnn? cheaperthendirt has them for like 6.08 a box if i remember correctly.... that price is a good one....

Mosquito should be broken in with mini mags. Make sure to clean the gun well before firing, and lube it up more than the average gun. Once broken in with some mini mags, the mosquito likes most 1200+ fps .22s. Mine really loves cci stingers, mini mags, remington golden bullets, win super x, federal blue box 40gr lead nose. It (and all my. 22s) dislike federal 36gr hp copper plated 525rd boxes and i am so happy i only have a few rounds left of that crap. I do have some american eagle sitting here, have never run it through any of my,.22s so i cant comment yet. I have easily 1000-1500 rounds through my mosquito and i have only used a few hundred mini mags through it. The federal 40gr and stingers are my main food for my mosquito.

Sorry for typos and punctuation, posting this from my phone.

Mosquito should be broken in with mini mags. Make sure to clean the gun well before firing, and lube it up more than the average gun. Once broken in with some mini mags, the mosquito likes most 1200+ fps .22s. Mine really loves cci stingers, mini mags, remington golden bullets, win super x, federal blue box 40gr lead nose. It (and all my. 22s) dislike federal 36gr hp copper plated 525rd boxes and i am so happy i only have a few rounds left of that crap. I do have some american eagle sitting here, have never run it through any of my,.22s so i cant comment yet. I have easily 1000-1500 rounds through my mosquito and i have only used a few hundred mini mags through it. The federal 40gr and stingers are my main food for my mosquito.

Sorry for typos and punctuation, posting this from my phone.

thanks for the info.... yea im going to clean it and lube it up before i go to shoot it

Minimags are $60+ a brick and Blazers are $20. I've shot thousands of rounds of Blazers thru my misquito with no problems.

i know the price difference is huge but what exactly is the difference between the 2?

Mini mags are copper washed, blazers aren't. Both are listed at 1235 fps (round nose), also I have also noticed more leading with the blazers.

so the copper washing prevents it from jamming? smoother case then the blazer?

The copper plating apparently is slightly harder than the lead and helps prevent excess buildup in the barrel/chamber...at least that's my understanding.

My mosquito likes the Remington Golden Bullet 525rd bulk ammo just fine, which as far as I can tell is plated with ....something (doesn't look like copper)...and it is only $17 on sale at dicks pretty often.

.22 ammo is dirt cheap. Try a bunch, see what your gun likes. Most ammo is available in 50 or 100rd boxes, so you don't have to buy it in bulk to test it out. Just bring a pen/marker and write how the gun performed with the ammo so you remember which stuff was good and what was not. Eventually you will find a few brands that are cheap and have good reliability.

Like I said, clean the gun well first, keep it wetter than you would keep most guns, and for at least the first 200-300 rounds, stick to just the mini mags. Every 100 or so rounds, consider adding lube to the hole behind the ejection port, and maybe to the feed ramp.

After you've broken the gun in with the mini mags, try out 50 or 100 rounds of ammo that is 1200+fps and see how it cycles. I'm 99% sure that when maintained and broken in properly, the current generation mosquito will run almost any decent higher velocity .22s without a hitch. If you wanna run just the mini mags, that's fine, as it is still way cheaper than a centerfire cartridge. If you want the Mosquito to feel a little more like a real gun, try CCI stingers or other hypervelocity ammo...stingers make the Mosquito quite fun (well, more fun).

Just, be sure you avoid the cheap Federal copper washed 36gr hollow points in 525rd bulk packs. The 2 packs I bought I would say that 1 in 10 rounds failed to fire the first time, in 4 different guns which function reliably with every single other ammo I have fed them.

Check out cheaperthandirt.com - they have a bunch of 50rd boxes of all sorts of ammo, give a bunch a try. Just be sure to order it all from te same warehouse so the shipping costs are low.