jcerillo70

Steel Target Project

Hey guys and gals!

Just wanted to show everyone my project in progress for making steel target holders for practice shooting. Also i will show you other great ideas i found during the research.

First i started by ordering 3 sets of sawhorse legs (30'' high) from amazon for $15 a piece.(Still in the mail.Expected wednesday)

sawhorse.jpg

Then using an 8ft. 2x4 , i cut 2 lengths of 2.5 ft and one length of 3 ft.

Starting off with the 3 ft section, i was able to fit 3 Swingers (I have 2 so far, 3rd on the way) (Which are on sale at midway right now for $23) onto the 2x4

http://www.midwayusa...=ProductDescrip

steelswinger.jpg.

To fit these, i measured the base rods, which are 1/2 '' round stock. So i used a 1/2'' wood bit and drilled 6 holes. angling the holes so that the shots would be deflected down and out to the side, after impact.

photo-2.jpg

Part 2 (mounting #2 - 8'' gongs) coming monday night. Part 3 (The full set-up) Wednesday night

Now if i really wanted to do something for cheap, during the summer when the ground is soft. This guy used 3 pieces of 5' rebar. and held them at the top with what looks like a 3 or 4 in. i-bolt(I think its called).

Its like those rifle tripod made of sticks and string the guy on the outdoor channel uses on his african hunts lol

stand.jpg

I thought this was a great example of thinking outside the box

Bought 2 of the Folding metal sawhorses today, while im still waiting for my sawhorse legs to get here. (not until next week now)

image1-2.jpg

For $30 at home dept they are very nice and compact yet tall and durable when unfolded.

image1-3.jpg

Then using a i bolt and washers and nuts i secured the chain into the upper portion of the sawhorse.(I had to widen the hole just a little bit to make it fit. Then another bolt with 2 nuts and washers to secure the steel plate, while still maintaining a downward plate angle.

image1-4.jpg

Then the first stage of painting

image1-5.jpg

Primers failed to ignite in the 1911 - These were reloads with cheap Wolf primers.

Full lockups in the glock 34(had to pry open were the action and barrel meet with a knife - OAL to long ?

Empty shells getting jammed in the action of the GSG. - Strange grooves on the lead bullets causing the shells to actually get stuck in the chamber.

So the good news is i got rid of all the bad reloads. I gotta pick up some WWB for USPSA sunday. then ill make an order from Powder valley for some Federal Primers, And Precision delta bullets