YWHIC

Troy Extreme.. fail.. Troy CS ++

I bought a Troy 15" Extreme about a month ago for my 18" SPR project..

Today I decided to add a rail section to it..

and FAIL.. the heli-coil for 1 screw underneath decided to pull out.. on the mounting point.

post-3413-0-56193600-1328813774_thumb.jpg

now the GOOD news.. Troy is sending me the 15" Troy Alpha as replacement. :gaming:

The bad news is the Alpha uses a factory barrel nut.. so the Troy barrel nut had to come off with my pinned comp/brake.. :(

post-3413-0-65791700-1328813969_thumb.jpg

The good news is I didn't destroy my Levang Comp or the barrel.. and I can reuse and re-pin..

(I gotta weld the pin in again anyway)..

+1 for Troy CS..

Did you crank down the screws hard? I've put mine on and taken it off probably a dozen times, and I've had no issues with the helicoils, but I also actually follow the instructions on how much to tighten it. I'm interested in how the alpha mounts and how reliable it is to stay in place and not rotte without the screws backing out.

I like the TRX rails, but I'm not sure I dig the alphas being simpler, requiring parts it doesn't ship with, and costing more. Should the need arise for a new one, I might move to the apex forearm.

What parts??

It uses a standard barrel nut.. not the Troy proprietary.. they said I can keep the rail sections also..

**ETA the Levang Comp is shot.. can't get the pin out of the devise.. and of course everyone is out of them..

Just read Troy's website..

** Troy is upgrading the TRX Extreme to the Alpha Rail. Within the next 60 days, previous TRX Extreme purchases will be shipped with the upgraded Alpha Rail. The TRX Extreme rail will no longer be available for purchase. **

ordered the last Levang Linear Comp I could find and a regular barrel nut (which I have here)..

should have it all back in working order in 5 days or so..

What parts??

It uses a standard barrel nut.. not the Troy proprietary.. they said I can keep the rail sections also..

**ETA the Levang Comp is shot.. can't get the pin out of the devise.. and of course everyone is out of them..

If you are doing a build form scratch, with the TRX, you got the tube, the barrel nut, and the barrel nut wrench for like $175.

Now, you get the tube. As far as I can tell you now need to get a factory barrel nut, and a barrel nut wrench, and it is like $185.

Hore hassle, less stuff, for a higher price. Not that they are out of line with other products on the market, but their product used to be a nicer package and better value for the dollar. Now they are priced slightly more than about 5 other tubes with similar weight and construction. They don't suck, they just went from a great dela to an average product in one go unless there's something non-obvious about the alphas.

gotcha..

I have the wrench as I build uppers and I have the standard barrel nuts here also.

I agree that Troy should throw in the $7 std. barrel nut and sub-out that Troy wrench for one with 3 nubs..

Then it would all balance out..

I paid $139 from PA late December for it.. (on sale).. the new Alpha one is $199 most places..

My only loss was the Comp/Brake at $40 that I had to destroy to get off... I broke even on this pretty much..

I'll do a review when I get it..

The issue is that people may buy more then one rail, and may already have a std barrel nut... why make em pay for something they already have? i asked why daniel defense didnt ship the wrenches with their lite rails... if you buy more then one rail it becomes a waste, you just need one wrench, u dont need a new wrench if u buy another lite rail or multiple rails...

The issue is that people may buy more then one rail, and may already have a std barrel nut... why make em pay for something they already have? i asked why daniel defense didnt ship the wrenches with their lite rails... if you buy more then one rail it becomes a waste, you just need one wrench, u dont need a new wrench if u buy another lite rail or multiple rails...

So by eliminating the wrench, they don't make me pay for it. They achieve this by charging me $10 more. Your logic is flawless sir.

So by eliminating the wrench, they don't make me pay for it. They achieve this by charging me $10 more. Your logic is flawless sir.

I was showing an example as to why they don't really include the stuff anymore... Your not buying the same rail, as previously noted the alpha rail is replacing the rail you are comparing it too, they seem to think the new alpha is worth more then it's predecessor, and keeping with what other companies do they shave a little cost and waste off the price by not including things you may already have. If it was the same rail, costs more and offered less then i would agree with you, why pay more for less. If the rail requires a special nut then it would be stupid not to include it, but why pay for a std barrel nut when almost everyone who owns an AR has one... or why get a new wrench every time u buy a new rail? That right there is 20-30 bucks savings on things u may potentially already own... now if the company is trying to pull a quick one by introducing a new rail system, that isnt new at all, maybe a very minor modification, and they price it higher while removing accessories then yeah i would be pissed... Some of the other companies are making it easy for troy and like brands to charge more. Hell i paid $320 for my 10" lite, and it doesn't offer a whole lot more then troy rails. Personally i think they are all becoming over priced, and with having a perm. attached muzzle device you better be happy with what your paying for.

I was showing an example as to why they don't really include the stuff anymore... Your not buying the same rail, as previously noted the alpha rail is replacing the rail you are comparing it too, they seem to think the new alpha is worth more then it's predecessor, and keeping with what other companies do they shave a little cost and waste off the price by not including things you may already have. If it was the same rail, costs more and offered less then i would agree with you, why pay more for less. If the rail requires a special nut then it would be stupid not to include it, but why pay for a std barrel nut when almost everyone who owns an AR has one... or why get a new wrench every time u buy a new rail? That right there is 20-30 bucks savings on things u may potentially already own... now if the company is trying to pull a quick one by introducing a new rail system, that isnt new at all, maybe a very minor modification, and they price it higher while removing accessories then yeah i would be pissed... Some of the other companies are making it easy for troy and like brands to charge more. Hell i paid $320 for my 10" lite, and it doesn't offer a whole lot more then troy rails. Personally i think they are all becoming over priced, and with having a perm. attached muzzle device you better be happy with what your paying for.

The alpha is a minor modification, unless there is something special about the mounting system. They made the extrusion slightly more rigid (probably just the result of it not having a slot cut in it), and changed the mount. That's it. And they jacked the price from $175 to $189.

And if you are building from parts you don't necessarily have a stock nut. You have yet to refute a single point of mine. Troy can charge what they want, but I don't have to buy it.

I wasn't trying to refute any of your points, and i was agreeing with you on some level. I do not know anything about the alpha rails, so i cannot comment on whether the price bump is warranted. I was merely explaining that "most" companies, cut back on those parts because they usually end up in a spare parts bin, and you end up paying for things you don't need. You can bet, if they included them with the alpha rail, you would see an even higher price. I would rather the wrench not be included and have the price reflect that, i have an armors wrench already. Like i was saying, i would be ticked if they removed those parts and didn't cut the price on the same model, but were talking about a new model. Which is priced exactly the same as the vtac extreme model, which doesn't come with the wrench either.

What parts??

Troy's "Claymore Comp" is almost the exact twin of the Levang..same pattern...just a little different externally