Red Solo Cup

Doomsday Prepper shoots own thumb

Not sure but I think it's he soild state electronics that are the problem. I think anything with tubes would be unaffected. I believe that was one of the things the antonov was designed around. No direct knowledge but just something that I heard.

Yeah, I think that plane did or does fly with tubes. HAHA, scary, but just hit her on the side like an old tv and your good to go! I think some 50 ish cars had tubes in the dash too. The car radios would have had them right?

I don't know exactly what the expected fail rate is for vehicles during that type of event, but it definitely would not be 100%. I have heard discussions debunking the effect, I have heard discussions stating undeniably that the systems would be toasted, I have heard arguments that if the radio is off there will be no damage, and if the radio is on they're toast. The guys discussing said situation are electrical engineers. Who's right? Hope we never find out.

Check this out, the Russian produced, club K missle system. I wonder if it's Jersey legal?

This is a report done by a news station in Atlanta. There used to be a video link within the article where the reporter interviewed a port official who had no clue that this system existed. It has, apparently, been removed from this article. www.wsbtv.com/news/news/new-hidden-missile-system-unknown-to-feds/nFDfM/

This is the manufacturers video. Check out some of the comments at the end of the vid.

I wouldn't count on any specific electronic device working after exposure to an EM pulse. Certainly the simpler the device is the less likely that it will sustain damage, but I would expect that pretty much any IC would be likely to fail if it was exposed to a sufficient EM pulse.

The device being off (and I mean really off, all possible switches in the open position) would certainly help, but only if the pulse is not sufficiently strong to induce arcing between the points of any switch or other gap between conductors. Also, the amount of induction depends upon the shape of the circuit and the angle at which the pulse intersects the circuit. Even if all physical switches are in the open position, this is irrelevant in a semiconductor based IC as the voltage induced by the pulse needs only to overcome the resistance of the substrate, and the more modern the IC, the more susceptible they would be to arcing because the space between the conductors is smaller.

An EMP will induce a current into anything that will conduct electricity. This will gaurentee certain death for and solid state device and severely damage most mechanical electrical devices as well. Once the damage is done its permanent. A weak EMP from a solar flare can and has cause large scale blackouts in the past. The reason it only snarled up the grid is due to the sheer size of it. There are proably hundreds of millions of feet of wire that dring power to your home. A stronger pulse will put induce current into small things like your cars, appliances, homes, computers, etc.....

One of the things that has been experimented with to stop a car is EMI. That is electro magnetic interference. This phenomenom is experienced when you hear lightning or a hum when you go under power lines in an AM station. Strong enough EMI will temporarily scramble solid state equipment.

I hope that clears things up a bit

Ken

Our government would never warn us about something like that.

I dont think the bicycle (one of wich was electric!) will tow that trailer too well!!

Ken

Even if the gov't doesn't tell us, there are people who monitor all this stuff. Who don't work for the gov't, who will put out the info. to the public if they can. I don't think anyone would try and tow a trailer with a bicycle. But if his truck was disabled he could throw his bob over his back and ride to his safehouse. A bicycle for each family member, each carrying a bag.

I wouldn't count on any specific electronic device working after exposure to an EM pulse. Certainly the simpler the device is the less likely that it will sustain damage, but I would expect that pretty much any IC would be likely to fail if it was exposed to a sufficient EM pulse.

The device being off (and I mean really off, all possible switches in the open position) would certainly help, but only if the pulse is not sufficiently strong to induce arcing between the points of any switch or other gap between conductors. Also, the amount of induction depends upon the shape of the circuit and the angle at which the pulse intersects the circuit. Even if all physical switches are in the open position, this is irrelevant in a semiconductor based IC as the voltage induced by the pulse needs only to overcome the resistance of the substrate, and the more modern the IC, the more susceptible they would be to arcing because the space between the conductors is smaller.

An EMP will induce a current into anything that will conduct electricity. This will gaurentee certain death for and solid state device and severely damage most mechanical electrical devices as well. Once the damage is done its permanent. A weak EMP from a solar flare can and has cause large scale blackouts in the past. The reason it only snarled up the grid is due to the sheer size of it. There are proably hundreds of millions of feet of wire that dring power to your home. A stronger pulse will put induce current into small things like your cars, appliances, homes, computers, etc.....

One of the things that has been experimented with to stop a car is EMI. That is electro magnetic interference. This phenomenom is experienced when you hear lightning or a hum when you go under power lines in an AM station. Strong enough EMI will temporarily scramble solid state equipment.

I hope that clears things up a bit

Ken

Thanks guys, I'm gonna start a new thread on this subject at some point. Hope to see your comments.

Even if the gov't doesn't tell us, there are people who monitor all this stuff. Who don't work for the gov't, who will put out the info. to the public if they can. I don't think anyone would try and tow a trailer with a bicycle. But if his truck was disabled he could throw his bob over his back and ride to his safehouse. A bicycle for each family member, each carrying a bag.

"A bicycle for each family member, each carrying a bag."

I dare you to try this some weekend (better yet try it during rush hour) and post a report. Seriously, because if you can get each of your family members (I'm assuming, kids, wife, parents older than 60, pets) to go more than 5 miles on bikes with heavy packs, I'll pay your range fee for a day at Range 14.

I've heard this discussion before about going to a safe house out of state. Depending on the circumstances which has prompted such action (in this case a large emp that disables the vast majority of transportation), getting to a safe house thats normally 3, 4 or better yet a 5 hrs DRIVE or more from this region will be, (in my opinion) not possible. Why? If the effect is as catastrophic as imagined, that normal 3 hour drive will now take DAYS to travel. Factor in social chaos, young kids, elderly parents, handicapped individuals, pets, etc. and that becomes near impossible. Horse's would be the most viable option.

I know a group of guys that has property out of the region, they have it set up for just this kind of scenario and think they are just going to drive their hummers there. That property will be great to go to if there is adequate warning, (prior to the general population being informed), but after such an event as emp, these guys have only made a nice haven for the locals who know what they have put in place. I can see the warning sign at the driveway entrance now, " Thanks for prepping for us, now keep out Damn Yankees or be shot"

Getting pretty heated over nothing. FYI, it wasn't me on the doomsday show. I was merely guessing at why this guy loaded bikes onto his bug-out trailer. Obviously I can't read this guys mind, but other then as a 2nd means of transportation why else would he take bicycles on a bug-out. He said it takes 30mins by truck to get to his bug-out location, without knowing how far in miles it was, I can't speculate how long of a bike ride it would be. If I recall he lived in a deset area of the southwest, so if there was mass-hysteria, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it would be here in the NYC metropolitan area.

Haha, you dare me to try this. Well, I don't have any family but I've done 20+mile ruck marches, with a 60 pound pack, while carrying an m249. Does that equate to a 5 mile bike ride in your book?

It's a Television Show.

Getting pretty heated over nothing. FYI, it wasn't me on the doomsday show. I was merely guessing at why this guy loaded bikes onto his bug-out trailer. Obviously I can't read this guys mind, but other then as a 2nd means of transportation why else would he take bicycles on a bug-out. He said it takes 30mins by truck to get to his bug-out location, without knowing how far in miles it was, I can't speculate how long of a bike ride it would be. If I recall he lived in a deset area of the southwest, so if there was mass-hysteria, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it would be here in the NYC metropolitan area. Haha, you dare me to try this. Well, I don't have any family but I've done 20+mile ruck marches, with a 60 pound pack, while carrying an m249. Does that equate to a 5 mile bike ride in your book? It's a Television Show.
Sorry you understood it that way, I didn't mean it to be caustic, just a friendly challenge. I was just trying to point out how difficult that would be to accomplish in such a situation, especially in NJ. I think these doomsday shows can impart wrong or misleading information and ideas on people that will get them in more trouble. I was just trying to make you, or whoever reads this, think about what they have watched so they can have a real plan. I assume, (after your reply), your former military so no need to listen to me then. I try to educate my friends, neighbors and family about self reliancy and disaster preparedness. Why? Because I care about them and I don't want to work my balls off helping them do sh it they should've done sooner (Think Irene). I always want to learn more about basically everything so I'm open to suggestions. OK, new dare. I'll pay your range fees for the day if you let me shoot the m249. After you trek 20 miles with a 60 lb pack of course. I'll carry the gun in my truck though because I don't have enough to bail you outta jail. I seriously hope you don't take this the wrong way.

You can understand why I took it the way I did, reading it seemed to have a sarcastic tone to it. But if that wasn't your intention than it's all good in the hood,haha. I'm all for preparation, only the prepared survive. The show is on tonight, so I'm sure we'll have plenty more to discuss after tonight.

Even if I could still ruck march, I had to turn in the saw when I left. :(

I meant nothing sarcastic or challenging either. I am a licensed electrician with several years of electronics training as well. I could type out a long winded post about it but silent Service said it very well. Should we try to prepare for and experience an EMP the strategy on NatGeo would fail miserably. I am all for prepping and I try to do it based on valid info, thats all.

Now, if you want a vehicle that runs after an EMP you need to find a late 80's or early 90's dodge pickup with the 12valve cummins and a manual transmission. You will need to remove the fuel shutoff solenoid and replace it with an old school "pull to stop" setup first. Second, you will need to make sure you can push start said vehicle. This truck will run with NO electrical system at all as long as you have the manpower and knowhow to push start it. And yes, I have such a vehicle at my disposal (but i am not preparing for an EMP only)!

Ken

You can understand why I took it the way I did, reading it seemed to have a sarcastic tone to it. But if that wasn't your intention than it's all good in the hood,haha. I'm all for preparation, only the prepared survive. The show is on tonight, so I'm sure we'll have plenty more to discuss after tonight.

Even if I could still ruck march, I had to turn in the saw when I left. :(

It's all good John, thanks. We don't have cable or sat so we don't get the current show. I'll have to see if the old episodes are on netflix. Thanks for laying it out there on the line for us bro. Let me know when you want to take a cruise down to range 14 and I'll pay for your range time.

I meant nothing sarcastic or challenging either. I am a licensed electrician with several years of electronics training as well. I could type out a long winded post about it but silent Service said it very well. Should we try to prepare for and experience an EMP the strategy on NatGeo would fail miserably. I am all for prepping and I try to do it based on valid info, thats all.

Now, if you want a vehicle that runs after an EMP you need to find a late 80's or early 90's dodge pickup with the 12valve cummins and a manual transmission. You will need to remove the fuel shutoff solenoid and replace it with an old school "pull to stop" setup first. Second, you will need to make sure you can push start said vehicle. This truck will run with NO electrical system at all as long as you have the manpower and knowhow to push start it. And yes, I have such a vehicle at my disposal (but i am not preparing for an EMP only)!

Ken

You saying I'm long winded? haha, wouldn't be the first time I heard that. I'll take it as a compliment.

I got an old 7.3 Ford that fits the bill. I don't think you would have to push start your truck after emp as it does'nt affect batteries or starter motors (As I understand it).

I do have concern about my backup portable generator though. Any idea if that would be affected? Would it matter what position the brushes were in a time of a pulse?

I plan on building a wood gasifier this spring (I hope Israel doesn't nuke Iran before then), so I'll be looking for an old 60's or 70's p/u to run off of it. I agree with being prepared and not just for emp, although part of any preparation should take that into account.