I know this has probably been discussed before, but after going through the laws on the books in NJ and going through a lot of treads here, I see nothing that should be illegal regarding carrying an unloaded rifle in my car even if I am not going to the range or work, etc. Any reason anyone could think of why I could not have an unloaded rifle in my vehicle? (I have a FID)

(That is as long as I am in NJ, could see there being an issue if I forgot about it and got caught in NY)

There is a thread addressing all common NJ gun laws..

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-nj-law-summary-read-first-nj-gun-law-faqs/

Where Can You Transport

• If you have a FID card you can essentially transport a long gun at any time, there are no real restrictions on transportation.
  • If you do NOT have a FID OR are transporting handguns, NJ is fairly strict on when a firearm can be transported.
  • The following are instances where NJ allows for you to transport firearms.

Technically with and FID card, you can walk around your neighborhood with an unloaded rifle slung over your shoulder while carrying a case of ammo for it.

Here's what you have to work with, 2C:39-5 covers "unlawful posession". A FID is basically a "carry permit" for unloaded rifles and shotguns.

b. Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

c. Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2) Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.