Sign in to follow this  
johnp

Possibility of a doomsday scenario

Just read this about solar flares hitting earth, not bad yet but adverse effects could still occur. Maybe it will lead to an EMP or something much worse?

Any thought from preppers on here what the most likely doomsday scenario could be...?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17295337

Ready... this is how boring my job can be. A G1 Geomagnetic is a minor status resulting in weak power grid fluctuations, minor impact on sats, some impact on avians and high lat aurora borealis visibility. A S3 Solar Radiation Storm can have effect on plane passengers at high lats and high altitudes, might cause some sat ops to degrade, can effect navigational positioning and will effect HF radio propagation in polar regions.

This is a non-event. Next year will be busier... prob in the summer time.

post-1225-0-44919500-1331239152_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-32309600-1331239203_thumb.png

The worst we'll see from CME will be something on par with the Carrington Event. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859 It will probably knock out some sats, screw up power in some places and create other unknowable disruptions but it won't be like a nuclear EMP that takes out your modern car.

This level of an event is very rare so unless you're in the space biz or electricity generation, don't sweat it much.

Ready... this is how boring my job can be. A G1 Geomagnetic is a minor status resulting in weak power grid fluctuations, minor impact on sats, some impact on avians and high lat aurora borealis visibility. A S3 Solar Radiation Storm can have effect on plane passengers at high lats and high altitudes, might cause some sat ops to degrade, can effect navigational positioning and will effect HF radio propagation in polar regions.

This is a non-event. Next year will be busier... prob in the summer time.

I only understood the last sentence... but one has to ask.. how do you get those images in high res and I want a cool one for my desktop wallpaper plz :)

Solar flares, Global warming, Mayan calendar. What can you do about them? Zilch.

You want to know of a realistic event that prepping is for, go back 3 months (Halloween Snow), or six months (Irene).

No power, no food, no heat, no water for a week is a pretty good example

Or in Irene's case add in looting, stealing generators, breaking into "Vacant" house to help yourself.

These are the most likely events.

I have a few days worth of canned food and 20 gallons of water. It's not enough to last a lifetime but it'll do for a couple days. Especially because I'd have to run through all the food in my kitchen before I'd touch that.