Sign in to follow this  
Jackruf

New Teenage Shooter

My 16 year old son is interested in pursing competitive shooting. Can someone recommend programs in the North Jersey area for me to get him enrolled in? We are members of Cherry Ridge, so that would be the logical location to go to. But any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Tenafly Rifle and Pistol Club has weekly events on Sunday in the evenings around 6PM.

Most of it is steel which is very easy to learn. One day is practice USPSA.

They are very cool there and would let him shoot rimfire even if it's not a rimfire match

just for him to learn. I've seen them really go out of their way to help out new shooters.

My 16 year old son is interested in pursing competitive shooting. Can someone recommend programs in the North Jersey area for me to get him enrolled in? We are members of Cherry Ridge, so that would be the logical location to go to. But any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

I guess my first thought that comes to mind is, "Rifle? Pistol?? Shotgun?? or all three??"

Seriously what does he get excited about shooting? If he loves a .22 and doesn't mind shooting all in prone or in a regimented 3-position format, then Youth Small Bore is for him! And like j0n stated, the SCF&GPA is well known for producing Olympic-quality shooters in Small-Bore!

If he wants to do USPSA then almost all Clubs mentioned on this forum (that have USPSA as a League or Match) would welcome him as a new shooter.

IDPA (defensive practical shooting from behind cover, such as barrels & walls) also has juniors participate.

Steel shooting is very big and some forms of it have kids younger than your son shooting competitively. And making magazine covers doing it!

Even the Black Powder League at OBR&PC teaches youngsters how to load & fire (and build their own) black powder handguns & rifles. My son went this route (black powder) and made it all of the way up to NRA Expert before moving away to college. His senior year in high school he entered into the drawing for the Cal Ellis Memorial Scholarship through the Association of NJ Rifle & Pistol Clubs (ANJR&PC). That's the State-wide Association that is the official NRA State Organization for NJ. (They own a Range in Highland Lakes NJ that goes by the name of Cherry Ridge. I know you're a member there, but I'm typing this for those parents that aren't. Your son need not be a member of the Association to enter the Scholarship drawing). All he (my son) had to do was write an essay and submit proof of competing in the shooting sports. He sent-in copies of Club newsletters showing that he had placed up amonst the top 1/3 of the participants month after month over a period of several years of active participation with the black powder league. That dedication to the sport, along with a copy of his transcript and his essay netted him the top place in the Scholarship contest that year (2007), and a beautiful wall plaque along with a check for $1,500.00 towards college, that we put to immediate use on his books for the year.

There are several Experts in there respective shooting disciplines that make this Forum one of their "homes". Once we all know what your son is interested in shooting (discipline-wise) I'm quite sure that one of us will no doubt want to help him in his endeavors in this great sport of ours. Not all disciplines are available at every Club, and Cherry Ridge is no exception. As a Cherry Ridge Member you already get the News & Briefs newsletter which lists all of the activities on the Club's Range Calendar. You may have to consider visiting other Clubs in order to get the best training in a particular shooting discipline. It will be well worth the gas, time & effort I assure you!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and tell him good luck from all of us! For details on specific Club's activities you may wish to visit their web sites for the best most up-to-date info.

Dave Rosenthal, NRA Life Member

Father of a Cal Ellis Memorial Scholarship Recipient

• Like 1