Kaiser7

Recommendations on getting an AR built

Howdy, I finally saved up a little cash, and am finally going to go through with my AR build, or so I hope. First question is this, should I buy the lower first, or have the upper built?

It sounds weird (go ahead and make fun of me, but my AR will be based off an airsoft gun, so I can cross train). Here is the picture of (Essentially) what I want in my AR.

AR.jpg

Anyway, basically I want a 20" barrel ( picked out the Bushmaster Predator barrel), fixed stock, rail, and flat top. If anyone has any suggestions of parts, or who could build it at a good price, let me know. I'm from South Jersey (Camden County)

I need it built for me because quite frankly, I lack the tools (and know-how) to do it myself. I don't even have a vice, which I know is important for installing the barrel. I was planning on attaching the upper and lower myself, however. Any advice is appreciated.

Assemble the lower yourself.

It's not hard, no special tools required.

Any particular maker you would recommend that's good quality at a good price? Also, would it be smarter to order a kit and assemble the lower, or to order all the parts individually?

What about the upper though?

I bought Spikes Tactical. But they seem to be pretty similar. Lots of people use Palmetto State Armory stripped lowers. As for Lower Parts Kits, it seems to depend on what your using it for. I've heard good things about Spikes, Daniel Defense, and PSA basic kits. Can also buy one without a trigger group and get one on the side.

As for uppers, I'm kind of torn. I was looking at a RRA upper but now leaning toward a Bravo Company. Like I said, it also depends what your using it for.

Range? Law Enforcement? Long range target competitions?

I bought Spikes Tactical. But they seem to be pretty similar. Lots of people use Palmetto State Armory stripped lowers. As for Lower Parts Kits, it seems to depend on what your using it for. I've heard good things about Spikes, Daniel Defense, and PSA basic kits. Can also buy one without a trigger group and get one on the side.

As for uppers, I'm kind of torn. I was looking at a RRA upper but now leaning toward a Bravo Company. Like I said, it also depends what your using it for.

Range? Law Enforcement? Long range target competitions?

Range rifle, and SHTF really. Probably should go with an AK for SHTF, but my idea is if I build it for accuracy and range, I could likely still use it for closer engagements. I suppose that if someone broke in, it would be my default HD gun until I buy a shotgun too.

You probably don't need a completely "Mil Spec" Upper then. It will save you a few bucks and open up more options. Maybe look into RRA, Stag, etc

Yeah, originally I'd asked a guy from Gun for Hire to build it for me. Just for parts the upper would have been $600-700, not including the additional $175 assembly fee. I asked what parts they intended to use, and he said Stag, DD, etc. When I asked if there was any way he could think of to lower the cost, I never heard back, hence why I'm looking for someone else to build the upper.

yeah that's alot. I would definitely do the lower yourself. look on youtube for a video. im sure you can do it. I spoke to Paul at arms n ammo about assembling an upper and it was very reasonable.

Do you remember a ballpark for labor? Also, where are they located? I'm Camden County, and it seems like practically no places are near me. Aside from Winter's but he seems more specialized in older stuff. I'd have to ask him haha.

Do you remember a ballpark for labor? Also, where are they located? I'm Camden County, and it seems like practically no places are near me. Aside from Winter's but he seems more specialized in older stuff. I'd have to ask him haha.

I'll PM you the price he gave me.

He's in waterford i belive. Shouldnt be that far for you

I want a longer rifle.the 16" is the M4 length, isn't it?

Yep, well technically the M-4 has a 14.5" barrel.

Are you going with the longer rifle just for looks, or something else? Im not trying to talk you out of getting a 20" gun (Im planning on building one soon hopefully) but you list SHTF and HD for uses of the gun and a 16" gun with an OAL of <36" is alot more manuverable, not to mention lighter, than a 20" gun with an OAL of >40".

Yep, well technically the M-4 has a 14.5" barrel.

Are you going with the longer rifle just for looks, or something else? Im not trying to talk you out of getting a 20" gun (Im planning on building one soon hopefully) but you list SHTF and HD for uses of the gun and a 16" gun with an OAL of <36" is alot more manuverable, not to mention lighter, than a 20" gun with an OAL of >40".

It's partially looks, partially a conception (potentially wrong) that a longer barrel=better range ( I know that's true, but not sure if that makes a difference), and also I don't care for shorter weapons, the way they feel and such.

To put it in perspective, if the gun, and ammo were the same price, I'd likely get an M1A. But, I know ARs are more versatile.

It's partially looks, partially a conception (potentially wrong) that a longer barrel=better range ( I know that's true, but not sure if that makes a difference), and also I don't care for shorter weapons, the way they feel and such.

To put it in perspective, if the gun, and ammo were the same price, I'd likely get an M1A. But, I know ARs are more versatile.

While partially true, either one will be plenty for the ranges we have in Jersey. And I agree with you 100% on the M1A.

Check out PSA if you havent already, I know they have some 20" uppers listed and have the option of putting a Troy rail on them. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/20.html

While partially true, either one will be plenty for the ranges we have in Jersey. And I agree with you 100% on the M1A.

Check out PSA if you havent already, I know they have some 20" uppers listed and have the option of putting a Troy rail on them. http://palmettostate...-uppers/20.html

This is more or less why I'm building this whole darn thing from scratch. I've been trying, if possible, to find an upper that doesn't have the front post-sight, the big triangular one.

Oh, and I just checked, I never knew this, but A&A is only about 8 miles from me.

personally im going for either a 14.5 or 16 barrel. I don't see myself using this at ranges you need a 20 barrel for and it would be much more awkward to handle

The irony of it is, the gun I pictured, my main airsoft gun, I've been using that for years now. Though it can get a little heavy after an 8 hour day, I'm more used to handling the longer rifle than short ones. I'd go for an 18" barrel too I suppose if I can find the low-profile gasblock. I personally like the flip-up sights you can put on them, though I'm not sure if they have to come with the rifle, or are added later.

This is more or less why I'm building this whole darn thing from scratch. I've been trying, if possible, to find an upper that doesn't have the front post-sight, the big triangular one.

Oh, and I just checked, I never knew this, but A&A is only about 8 miles from me.

Ya, the PSA one with the either the 13" or 15" troy rail comes with the low pro gas block installed under the handguards instead of the normal FSB.

edit for pic of 15" rail on 20" gun, its a BCM not a PSA but you get the idea

BCM-URG-Std%2020%20MI%20SS15-3.jpg

The irony of it is, the gun I pictured, my main airsoft gun, I've been using that for years now. Though it can get a little heavy after an 8 hour day, I'm more used to handling the longer rifle than short ones. I'd go for an 18" barrel too I suppose if I can find the low-profile gasblock. I personally like the flip-up sights you can put on them, though I'm not sure if they have to come with the rifle, or are added later.

How much does your airsoft gun weigh though?

Should make it even easier to handle then. Obviously its up to you but I would try to match the gun to its purpose.

x2, Thats why my AR has a lightweight 14.5" barrel, an OAL of right at 33", and weighs 7lbs loaded, with a micro dot on it.

If you see yourself doing a lot of long range targeting then definitley go for an 18 or 20. Also, you can always tailor another upper or barrel to other needs

If you see yourself doing a lot of long range targeting then definitley go for an 18 or 20. Also, you can always tailor another upper or barrel to other needs

Exactly, with my current setup I have no problem getting hits on torso sized targets out to 200-225 yrds with just the red dot, which is exactly why I built it the way I did.