hammer

colt mt6700 - does anyone in North/Cental NJ own it

Greetings,

I am looking to buy Colt MT6700 (20" barrel with A2 stock). I know that this is what I want but I have never held it :) Does anyone who lives in North or Central NJ own one and would be willing for me to take a look at it?

I just need to see how it feels like and how front heavy it is. I only was able to find MT6400 in stores but that is 16" barrel with a collapsible pinned stock. So I will be buying from an online seller most likely.

Please let me know. I shoot at Cherry Ridge so we could meet there if this is where you shoot as well.

Best regards and thanks in advance.

I owned the Colt Match Target 6400C. Great gun. I have held the HBAR long barrel version and can tell you it is very nose heavy. You would definitely not be running and gunning with it. The barrel profile is much thicker, and a few inches longer. Definitely a tripod gun. I don't believe I have seen any locally (ie Shore Shot). Good luck.

It'll feel like any other 20" NM AR15. It's not really "match target" if that's what you are after. Civilian Colt comes with oversized FCG pins so getting aftermarket triggers will be harder and more expensive.

Don't get me wrong, IMO Colt makes one of the highest quality AR. But if you are planning on competing, you are better off getting a White Oak Armanment NM upper on top of a quality lower receiver such as RRA. You have more options with triggers and the upper will be more accurate.

I thought Colt stopped that oversize pin nonsense. I know my 6940 uses standard pins, but that is le/mil model. Also, many aftermarket companies make versions for the larfe pin. I know Geissele does, although it costs about $30 more.

6940 is LE model. 6700mt and 6400c use larger pins.

Yup. Geissele does make the large pin versions, but IFAIK not all their models. Also like you said it's more expensive. In general there are less options out there for Colt large pin receivers.

I thought Colt stopped that oversize pin nonsense. I know my 6940 uses standard pins, but that is le/mil model. Also, many aftermarket companies make versions for the larfe pin. I know Geissele does, although it costs about $30 more.

I own an MT6700C and you are correct, it is really, really front heavy. I never use it unless i'm shooting of a bench or prone. I run it with a TA31F and it is pretty accurate, much better than me. Also, as far as I can tell it does not have the large pin. I am going to have to check when I get back home on Saturday but I'll get back to you.

My MT6400C, 6400R, and 6700 ALL have the small FCG pins.

Colt quit using the larger pins sometime in mid 2009.

I agree with the previous comments about the 6700. It is front heavy. I'm planning on a new upper with a govt profile 20" barrel, to make it handle better, and easier to carry.

In any case, it's a great rifle.

Something else to keep in mind, the 6700 does not have a chrome lined barrel.

Cheers!

Jeff

Guys, you were right. 6700 does feel heavy indeed. I just got hold of both mt6400 and mt6700. I like MT6400 so much more. Nobody has them though... Its as though Colt stopped making them. Noone can even provide an ETA for when they will get it. Strange.

Guys, you were right. 6700 does feel heavy indeed. I just got hold of both mt6400 and mt6700. I like MT6400 so much more. Nobody has them though... Its as though Colt stopped making them. Noone can even provide an ETA for when they will get it. Strange.

I had to get mine through www.gunbroker.com or www.gunsamerica.com. It seems like the stores stock up on the cheaper second tier ARs around here. It is probably easier to move more of them.

I ordered all 3 of mine through Bob's Little Sport shop. He was able to get them within 3 days through his distributor.

Doubt there are too many dealers around here that stock them.

I saw a MT6400R at a reasonable price on Gunbroker the other day.

Awesome!!!

They are great rifles....you'll love it.

My MT6400 wears a KAS M4 rail, and I had a EGW gen 2 comp pinned on. Tactical Link sling and Z360 mount

Other than that, it's K.I.S.S.

My MT6400R has an ACOG, and the same comp and sling setup as the 6400.

I take this rifle out to the ranch every time I go. It is very accurate, and ideal for varmit control.

Enjoy your new rifle!