Underdog

Savage 99

Please provide thoughts, feedback, and info on a Savage Model 99 in .308 w/ a removable magazine. I may have an opportunity to pick one up.

Excellent rifle and a modern design for powerful cartridges that fall into the 2.800" category. The 1899 has been around a long time and has gone through some minor design changes over the years but still exhibits the same strong action designed to handle modern, high intensity cartridges. Because they utilize a rotary or removable magazine, they can be loaded with modern, spitzer-style bullets which exhibit better downrange energy than blunt/flat nosed bullets that typically had to be loaded in tubular magazines models like Savage's competitors; Winchester and Marlin. (Hornady's LEVERevolution ammo has changed things a bit for tubular magazines.) The older rotary magazine models are more desirable to collectors, the removable magazine models are probably a bit more convenient to load/unload and make safe.

http://www.savage99.com/

• Like 1

Truly a unique rifle. I have one in .300 Savage and will be adding one in .308 very soon to the collection. Ammo is pricey for the odd calibers, but reloading can offset that. (nevermind, I just re-read you're looking at .308.) A popular gun among East Coast White Tail hunters from what I've read. And now that I have some acreage to hunt in PA, I'll be doing just that.

I have been looking for a bolt-action .308 "plinker" and was considering the new Ruger American Rifle or a Savage Model 10 FCM Scout. However, this lever action, magazine-fed one seems to be an interesting and quality rifle. And, its not a "black rifle" and might not be on the up-and-coming, increased "banned list".

I like that it has iron sights, as well as a scope mounted. Also, it seems to have a nice balance to it. I am concerned about getting parts for it, though. Are there known problems with them? And, with limited funds, I wonder if I should pickup a more modern rifle, such as saving up for an SA M1A Scout Squad...

The Savage will probably have enough accuracy for both my skill and the environs we live in. Thoughts?

Are the magazines hard to get for it in .308? Are they pricey?

Do these have a resale market, especially given that it is a good working one in .308?

Would anybody have reservations on picking one up, and what would you pay for one?

I have been looking for a bolt-action .308 "plinker" and was considering the new Ruger American Rifle or a Savage Model 10 FCM Scout. However, this lever action, magazine-fed one seems to be an interesting and quality rifle. And, its not a "black rifle" and might not be on the up-and-coming, increased "banned list".

I like that it has iron sights, as well as a scope mounted. Also, it seems to have a nice balance to it. I am concerned about getting parts for it, though. Are there known problems with them? And, with limited funds, I wonder if I should pickup a more modern rifle, such as saving up for an SA M1A Scout Squad...

The Savage will probably have enough accuracy for both my skill and the environs we live in. Thoughts?

Are the magazines hard to get for it in .308? Are they pricey?

Do these have a resale market, especially given that it is a good working one in .308?

Would anybody have reservations on picking one up, and what would you pay for one?

The M99 in .308 is probably a better rifle for general hunting purposes, whereas an M1A Scout might be a better ".308 plinker" and general range blaster. Both have their attributes. M99's will only appreciate in value over time. The only item you may have a problem finding are extra magazines for the late-model 99's. The caliber is "right" and probably the most popular and useful. As for other parts and their availability, there is a good network out there where you can scrounge stuff but an advantage here is not much goes wrong on a 99. They are built solid, with forged & machined frames, bolts and levers. All parts are built for a lifetime and more of use. The lightweight 22" bbl. models are real handy in the woods.

Depending on the age, grade and caliber, 99's can fetch some high prices today.

http://www.gunsinter....cfm?cat_id=356

A typical 99C in .308 -

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=279342592

• Like 1

It's a .308, haven't found a model designation yet. The wood has a much nicer grain than the top rifle, and with the engraving i'm thinking it may be a deluxe model. I have to call Savage tomorrow for some set screws for the factory scope mount holes. I will see if they can give me some information as to year of manufacture and model.

RJ - Join the Savage Shooters forum. You might get some info posting a pic there. Otherwise, contact the Savage Historian, John Callahan. He was helpful getting info for me on my pre-war ("pre-mil" as the old timers call them) 99R. I had his number but I seem to have misplaced it. All I could find is his address:

Mr. John T. Callahan

53 Old Quarry Road

Westfield, MA 01085

Good luck -

Kevin

RJ,

Another resource for Savage 99 research is:

Doug Murray

20 Polo Lane

Westbury, NY 11590

I believe both Doug Murray and John Callahan now charge $30 for a S/N lookup.