Laertes

Shooting a Handgun on My Residence

Hi All,

I just moved onto my family farm from another state. Since it is 23 acres and substantially surrounded by woods, I would love to have some target practice with my .357 revolver.

However, I am rapidly learning that the laws here are rather difficult to understand, and I can't tell whether I am prohibited from shooting on the farm in my current situation.

I have lived and worked here for several weeks, but I haven't acquired a NJ driver's license yet, nor the FID card. The revolver was purchased in another state prior to moving. The property is owned by another family member, with whom I have no official rental agreement.

It is not unusual to hear guns fired in this area. However, in the event that the police do show up because shots are fired, I want to make sure I am not in hot water. To be safe, should I acquire a NJ driver's license and FID card before I shoot? Are there any other restrictions on shooting at one's residence of which I should be aware?

Thanks,

Laertes

The first thing to check is if there are any town ordinances about firearms not being discharged outside within city limits. Our town had these posted on small street signs. Also make sure that there is a good backstop to keep bullets from flying off somewhere.

A NJ drivers license will show your place of residence on the farm. No need for a lease agreement. The NJ FPID (Firearms Purchaser Identification card) is just that. It allows you to purchase long guns in this state. However, you need to pass a background check to get it which shows you weren't a restricted person at the time of issue. If police do show up and you have the the FPID, it will give a good indication that you aren't a restricted person, especially since it is a new issue. They most likely will run a record check and you'll probably have a problem if anything shows up making you a prohibited person.

Set up a safe shooting area and you should be OK.

Take a listen on a weekend. From my house I can hear weapons being fired most weekends. Make sure that your range has a very good back-stop (dirt) and be mindful of what's down range.

Not a bad idea to give a shout-out to the zoning officer.

As others said:

a) Something indicating that the farm is your residence, like a DL, bills with your name and address, and if stuff gets ugly you should be able to prove that you physically live there, like all your belongings/room/bed, etc.

b) Verify you are adhering to local ordnance. NJ state AFAIK doesn't have a limitations on weapons discharge, except maybe state game grounds. Its the local towns/counties/etc that have those.

c) Safety

Thanks for all the replies, and apologies for the delayed response.

I finally obtained my NJ DL, so I now have easy proof of residence. Next on to the FID so that I can purchase ammo (and hopefully, more guns).

As for safe shooting: there is a ~30 foot high bank on my property, which I believe would make a good backstop. However, 75 feet or so after that is the end of my property. There are no buildings very close to that border. But from the point at which I would like to shoot, if I were to walk, say, 125 yards at 11 o'clock there would be a church, and say 100 yards at 10 o'clock there would be a home. Does this seem like a safe distance (remember, there is the ~30 foot bank in between us, but I want to be very safe).

If this is not safe, I could make a dirt pile at another end of my property at which I could shoot.

Take a picture of this bank.

If it's a low slope, even at 30 feet, a bullet can skip up and continue on. If it's a cliff, it's not a problem.

As for a 10-11 oclock, if you can see these building, it's probably not safe.