Sign in to follow this  
Njsarge

Suggestions for universal cleaning kit

Looking for some suggestions on a cleaning kit. I have a rod and bore brush for my .40 cal sig but I recently purchased a glock 19 and 12 gauge shotgun. I plan on purchasing an .223, 7.62 or 5.45 rifle sometime in the near future. I did see some Otis kits on amazon and a bore snake for the 12 gauge. I wasn't sure what to buy, they have universal kits that will clean rifles and pistols and get the bore snake for the shotgun?

Unless you have a lot of guns in a lot of different calibers, I personally prefer buying the individual pieces I need. I tried a universal kit at first thinking it would be a better value, but it just turned out that the pieces were mostly junk. I eventually wound up buying all the separate parts anyway. I like the boresnakes for rifles and shotguns since you don't have to (or sometimes can't) get straight clear access to the chamber to be able to get a rod in. For handguns though, I use a rod with a bronze brush and then jag with a patch. Also, be careful because standard size rods won't fit in a .22 cal rifle (that includes AR's). I almost got a rod stuck because I didn't think of that.

I haven't used any of them, but if you're set on buying a kit, Otis is probably the way to go.

I have the Otis pistol/rifle kit and it's pretty darn good. Most of the brushes you need, pull cables of multiple lengths (short for pistols, long for rifles/shotguns), patches etc all crammed into a nylon hockey puck. The only thing I do different is I don't usually use their included CLP-type product. I use either Break-free CLP or Clenzoil or any of the other products. I save the Otis brand tube that's in the kit for field/range use should I need it.

Building your own kit can be cheaper and because you only buy what you need for whatever you have... but if you know you're gonna end up with multiple guns of multiple calibers, you can't go wrong buying this right from the get-go. I got mine with my first gun (a .45)... but in the 7 months since I bought that one, I've acquired 2 more guns (.22 and .223). And... I still haven't decided on a shotgun yet, and my GF wants a 9mm... so I'll have at least 2 more calibers to clean. And I already have everything I need to clean just about anything else I might get.

I've tried one of those big box cleaning kits - the cleaning rods are cheap and break easily...

This one is a good one to start out with - it's got a pretty decent cleaning rod, adjustable tips, some cleaning patches (definitely get more), and some BreakFree CLP.

http://www.amazon.com/Kleenbore-Universal-Cleaning-Handguns-Shotguns/dp/B000H7M05E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340021570&sr=8-1&keywords=Kleen+Bore+Universal+Cleaning+Kit

I also go a Jag & Bore Brush set - the jags help push the cleaning patches through better than any plastic piece you have to thread the patches through:

http://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Piece-Ultra-Best-Brush/dp/B001F6ITFG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340021850&sr=8-3&keywords=cleaning+jag%2Fbrush+kit

M-Pro-7 had a REALLY good kit out there as well..not overly expensive, and it handles almost anything out there..i wouldnt use it on a Precision rifle, but it makes a great range kit in my Match bag...added plus is that M-Pro7 doesnt have a nasty odor.

+1 on assembling your own kit. A brass, flexible, or nylon rod is a must. The boresnakes work pretty well, but I often just cut up old cotton t-shirts, soak them, and shove them through.

Another nice thing is a set of picks (like dental tools). Midway has a set of 4 for about 8 bucks. You can damage your gun with them but they work very well to push patches into tight areas.

A fishing tackle box is a nice thing to keep it all- brushes for each caliber, etc., scotch pad, lead removal rag for stainless pieces,

I have found most kits have crappy parts- buy just what you need.

Look at one piece cleaning rods, like the Tipton 1 piece carbon fiber line. Then pick up the rest individually. Swags, brushes, patches, cleaning chemicals, etc. I don't care for boresnakes that much except for shotgun where they seem to work well.