Luke_WO

Bullet Hole Prices

I didn't find anyone there to be overly obnoxious. Sorry for the confusion.

I DO, however find it obnoxious for a range to force me to buy their ammo at over-inflated prices when renting a firearm. I get the whole "use the ammo we sell here" when renting a gun. But charging 40 dollars, the non-member price, for a box of 50 to the rentor is just obnoxious. If they are gonna force you to buy, they should as a courtesy offer the ammo at the "reduced" (read: closer to real retail) member price. They will not get any more of my hard earned money.

YMMV.

C

I'll be going for the first time tomorrow afternoon around 1:30. Hopefully it won't be too crowded. Just wanted to check a few things with you guys. First, their website appears to be down. They didn't all of a sudden close did they?

Also, do they have a lot of paperwork to fill out before you go? I filled out RTSP's in advance, but with Bullethole's website down I dunno...

Lastly, I'm bringing a friend from NYS. He will not be bringing a gun. I will be bringing my gun, my FID. He can share my lane and shoot my gun right? Somebody was telling me yesterday, and I'm not sure this can be right, but the other way around, if I go to NYS and meet a friend at a range I am not permitted to shoot their gun according to NYS law? Anyway just want to make sure me, my gun, my ammo and my friend can share a lane and shoot.

Thanks!

MC

I'll be going for the first time tomorrow afternoon around 1:30. Hopefully it won't be too crowded. Just wanted to check a few things with you guys. First, their website appears to be down. They didn't all of a sudden close did they?

Also, do they have a lot of paperwork to fill out before you go? I filled out RTSP's in advance, but with Bullethole's website down I dunno...

Lastly, I'm bringing a friend from NYS. He will not be bringing a gun. I will be bringing my gun, my FID. He can share my lane and shoot my gun right? Somebody was telling me yesterday, and I'm not sure this can be right, but the other way around, if I go to NYS and meet a friend at a range I am not permitted to shoot their gun according to NYS law? Anyway just want to make sure me, my gun, my ammo and my friend can share a lane and shoot.

Thanks!

MC

As far as I know they are still open. Shouldn't be too crowded around 1:30. I have never filled out any paperwork at BH. I just go to the counter and say I want X amount of time on the range, they give you a receipt and you show that receipt to the Range Officer. I've brought friends to the range who don't own firearms and don't have any FID etc, no problems letting them shoot my gun.

So this was my first time, and I'd go back. It's interesting, they seem like they're prepared to be mean and rude, and then as soon as you say something interesting about a gun, they're all smiles and happy to chat. I talked to the guy about how I wanted to get an M&P 15-22 next and he told me he has one and all about how he likes it, but that he doesn't have it in stock, so maybe next time.

It wasn't busy, but it wasn't empty. They're pretty firm with the rules, domestic ammo, no uncased firearms off the line, but I'm ok with all that. I was going to take a picture of my friend with my phone and the range officer stopped me. It does say no picture taking. Ok fine. I get what people are saying it's pretty cramped in the store, with guns stacked 3-deep on display, and then boxes of stuff (ammo and accessories I'm guessing) in front of all the counters, and all over the range area behind the line. So long as they don't mind me putting my backpack full of paper targets and my gun case down on their boxes of whatever it was, it doesn't bother me. They probably should get a warehouse or some storage space...

Now I will give you this, RTSP is a lot cleaner, and it's brighter out in the store front, and the kids that work there are all smiles and I'm happy when I shoot there, but Bullet Hole is $5/hr cheaper, 30 minutes closer, and in the range the lighting is brighter and the ventilation is better or at least it seemed much cooler inside. The weather could also have had something to do with that. I'm not voting one range off an island and keeping the other, I already have plans to meet my brother at RTSP Saturday morning after member's hours. I'm just saying my Bullet Hole experience went fine.

BTW, if I was voting one off an island the deciding factor would be range officers, and RTSP wins hands down. I didn't have any issues with the range officer at BH, but the guy at RTSP goes over and above...

Anyway, everybody loves RTSP, me included. Some people like Bullet Hole, some people hate it. I thought it was fine and I'd go back.

MC

[Added after I posted] I did forget to mention that with the target hangers at BH, unless I missed something, there's really no way to know the distance you're shooting. I didn't see markings on the floor or walls, and to send the paper out and back in was just a switch that said Forward on one side and Back on the other. They should at least paint some markings on the floor. It wasn't a big deal. The farther away I put my target, the less accurate I was. Surprise surprise :p