Sign in to follow this  
TheDon

Problems w/ Mossberg 500 Marinecote Finish

I bought a Mossberg 500 about 3 years ago to stage in the basement storage room. I was thinking the marinecote made sense so I would not have to worry about corrosion. I immediately had problems with casing sticking to the chamber walls when the barrel heated up after 10 or so rounds. Mossberg and the “experts” on AR15.com said that it is a known issue and it will go away after I break it in.

Well, after 3 years and probably 500 rounds, I am still having the problem. I have tried Slick 2000 EWL, carbon molly lube, 4 or 5 different brands of ammo and different loads, and it’s all the same.

Someone told me to use fine garnet paper and polish out the chamber. But, I don’t know what that will do to the marinecote and do not want to damage the chamber.

Has anyone experience and solved this problem of shell casings ceasing in the chamber?

Thanks

Don

FWIW, the marine cote barrel seems to get much hotter than the barrels on either my other 500 or my 590. I had to install a heat shield for safety reasons.

000 steel wool, 12 gauge bore brush, cordless drill, hoppe's gun oil

have fun

Got, got, got, and got.

Will give it a try when I clean my guns tonight and test it out next weekend.

Thanks Ray Ray!