Sign in to follow this  
609thomasm

Old shot gun s/n's

Anyone know if these came with a s/n on them. My dad bought them used in the mid 70's to take us hunting. I cannot find a s/n anywhere on theme,even with wooden stock removed. I am looking for the s/n's for the C.O.E for transfer. Stevens mdl.58-12GA (savage arms corporation, Chicopee Falls, Mass. USA) and O.F.Mossberg & sons Inc. New Haven Conn., USA mdl. 185K-A 20GA both are bolt action guns

Thanks

US guns where not required to have serial numbers till 1968 when the federal gun control act took place. It's common for older smooth bore shotguns to not have serial numbers. Although almost all rifles have serials since around the turn of the century. If the gun doesn't have one.. you can put "none" or "n/a" on the COE

Back in 1999 I had a friend that I used to work with bring me his father's old 1930s, 40s or 50's era Ithica model 37 Featherweight that he managed to blow-out the side of the barrel. He wanted to know if I could help him replace the barrel which I was not comfortable doing no knowing if there was any structural damage to the receiver. I looked at the gun and try as I could; I was unable to locate a serial number which I had always seen on the lower rear portion of the right side of the model 37 receivers. We shipped the gun back to Ithica, they replaced the barrel with a 28" vented rib and refinished the entire gun for around $300. I was never able to locate the serial on that thing but that gun looked good as hell when it came back.

US guns where not required to have serial numbers till 1968 when the federal gun control act took place. It's common for older smooth bore shotguns to not have serial numbers. Although almost all rifles have serials since around the turn of the century. If the gun doesn't have one.. you can put "none" or "n/a" on the COE

+1

Low-grade, utility shotguns were at times minus S/N's pre-69. Other maker's shotguns did have serial numbers dating back to the late1800's. Most double shotguns where hand-fitment required precision of parts carried S/N's and often the last digits of that S/N could be found stamped or engraved on critical working parts, including the wood buttstock and forend.

Correct