Steve_G

9mm 1911

Permits should be in by the end of September, time to make a final choice. I would like to stay under $1500. After reading reviews all over the internet, I have eliminated Springfield and Kimber due to reliability issues. These are the three I have narrowed it down to. Uses for the gun are USPSA and Steel. So, if you have one of these tell me your impressions.

S&W Pro - (Stainless)

STI Trojan - (Hard Chrome)

Dan Wesson PM9 - (Stainless)

The Classic looks of the Dan Wesson make it a winner for me. The others are excellent guns too, so I don't think you can make a bad decision choosing between those three. The S&W is a bit ugly to me, and I don't like the look of external extractors on a 1911, but yuo can't argue with their performance. The STI has those ugly rollmarks and the Trojan in particular looks like a condom ad on the side of the slide, but it is another great performer. I havwe owned two Dan Wesson CBOBS and found their fit, finish, and performance to be top notch.

You have good taste. I am looking to spend a lot less on my 9mm 1911.

A few years ago, I wanted one of everything. Now, I only want guns that will see regular use. Anything that sits in the safe for too long, gets sold. Quality over quantity. If money were no object, I would be looking at Wilson Combat but, I can't spend 3 to 5k on each gun, my wife would kill me.

The Classic looks of the Dan Wesson make it a winner for me. The others are excellent guns too, so I don't think you can make a bad decision choosing between those three. The S&W is a bit ugly to me, and I don't like the look of external extractors on a 1911, but yuo can't argue with their performance. The STI has those ugly rollmarks and the Trojan in particular looks like a condom ad on the side of the slide, but it is another great performer. I havwe owned two Dan Wesson CBOBS and found their fit, finish, and performance to be top notch.

The Dan Wesson definitely looks the best. The STI is by far the ugliest, and it's not stainless. (I just like stainless). The Smith looks OK and has a pretty good rep for reliability.

Steve,

With your budget and intended use, I would go for Dawson Precision's competition ready STI Trojans:http://www.dawsonpre...132B-1326311105

You still have plenty of $$$ for mags and ammo. ;)

This. STI and Dawson have great customer service, any problems that you might encounter, they will fix no questions. The CRP are very popular and are set up to compete. And yes you will have some cash left for some mags and gear.

Full disclosure, I am an kool aid drinking STI fan boy.

Steve, since you're looking from a purposeful competition standpoint, i'll offer my observations and experience with the same angle. To start, you probably don't care about trivial nitpicking about roll-marks or proper historical extractor style, so there's nothing wrong with either of these selections inherently for competitive use. The STI and the S&W are both known to be excellent runners and are easily found new for a reasonable cost. Amongst our usual group at various matches, there's probably a handful of both those brands in 9mm and they all run so i dont think you can go wrong there. I personally have the Trojan 9 and its been flawless, even with my handloaded jacketed hollowpoints! Other guys on our squads run FMJ's with the same success so its not picky for sure. Use good mags like the 10-round metalform or dawson with integral feedramp and they run all day long from first to last round in the mag.

I also have a PM-7, and while its not a 9mm and i can't comment on its feeding reliability, i can say that across the DW PM-x series, they are very tight guns, like frogs ass tight--almost too tight! lol. Mine had to go back for a "fluff and buff" as they call it to loosen it up as it was VERY intolerant to any variations in ammo. IT still choked up every once in a while and needs to be impeccably clean to run smooth. I don't use it anymore as i have the trojan to beat on, but i will say in the DW's favor that its a VERY accurate gun. I think the PM series is better off as a bullseye shooter, static paper puncher or BBQ piece, not a run and gun pistol. I'm sure it can be made more reliable with a little 'smithing, but with the already high expense of the stainless gun and its rarity, its would take a second seat to the other two option IMHO.

Steve, since you're looking from a purposeful competition standpoint, i'll offer my observations and experience with the same angle. To start, you probably don't care about trivial nitpicking about roll-marks or proper historical extractor style, so there's nothing wrong with either of these selections inherently for competitive use. The STI and the S&W are both known to be excellent runners and are easily found new for a reasonable cost. Amongst our usual group at various matches, there's probably a handful of both those brands in 9mm and they all run so i dont think you can go wrong there. I personally have the Trojan 9 and its been flawless, even with my handloaded jacketed hollowpoints! Other guys on our squads run FMJ's with the same success so its not picky for sure. Use good mags like the 10-round metalform or dawson with integral feedramp and they run all day long from first to last round in the mag.

I also have a PM-7, and while its not a 9mm and i can't comment on its feeding reliability, i can say that across the DW PM-x series, they are very tight guns, like frogs ass tight--almost too tight! lol. Mine had to go back for a "fluff and buff" as they call it to loosen it up as it was VERY intolerant to any variations in ammo. IT still choked up every once in a while and needs to be impeccably clean to run smooth. I don't use it anymore as i have the trojan to beat on, but i will say in the DW's favor that its a VERY accurate gun. I think the PM series is better off as a bullseye shooter, static paper puncher or BBQ piece, not a run and gun pistol. I'm sure it can be made more reliable with a little 'smithing, but with the already high expense of the stainless gun and its rarity, its would take a second seat to the other two option IMHO.

Jon, Thanks for that input. I'm definitely not looking for a bullseye or BBQ gun. The DW is also slightly more in cost. I could get either of the others and 4 or 5 extra mags for the cost of the DW. If the Smith and STI are about equal in reliability, I think I'm leaning towards the Smith since it has a slight edge in looks (imho) and I know that S&W has great customer service.

The Classic looks of the Dan Wesson make it a winner for me. The others are excellent guns too, so I don't think you can make a bad decision choosing between those three. The S&W is a bit ugly to me, and I don't like the look of external extractors on a 1911, but you can't argue with their performance. The STI has those ugly rollmarks and the Trojan in particular looks like a condom ad on the side of the slide, but it is another great performer. I have owned two Dan Wesson CBOBS and found their fit, finish, and performance to be top notch.

Sorry, I should've read the OP more clearly. If I had seen the USPSA part I would've recommended the STI.

All three are good choices and are essentially the same selections I made when I was shopping for a 9mm 1911. One of my selection parameters though was I wanted stainless - not necessarily because I like it, but because it was to be a competition gun which meant a lot in & out of the holster. My choice was made easier in that the S&W with adjustable sights (another selection criteria) was nowhere to be found and ditto, in spades on the DW PM9. I think the S&W can be found now, but doubtful on the PM9 as they only make a limited number per year (200 - 250) and they are pretty much sold out shortly after the production run (which was in the spring this year).

I ended up with an STI USPSA model, since it at least had the stainless slide. Most places that carry STI's discount them similarly, so you are less likely to find and buy one only to encounter a smokin' deal on the same gun the following week (don't you hate it when that happens). I got mine from an Internet dealer who offered free shipping, so no tax, no freight, just the transfer fee. It was already equipped the way I wanted it, with things that I would have had to add to the others, so when it came down to an apples to apples comparison, the STI ws only about $125 more than the Smith or DW. I love my STI.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob