bipr8

Youth Hunting Help (what did you do?)

My son (turning 10 in Dec) wants to get into deer hunting.

My son is on the small side. I had him shoot my 410 before (it didnt fit him) and he had a hard time with it. He cant pull back any weight on a compound bow with his fingers either (tried a couple youth bows this weekend).

So, I was thinking.

1. Youth compound bow with a release and hope for the best.

2. Youth single shot 410 or 20 ga. and hope the fit of the youth gun isnt as bad as it was shooting my gun.

3. Crossbow.

So, what have you guys had success with?

Thanks, Bip

forget the 410 you need a 20 gauge, i had purchased a mossberg youth pump for my one son and an rem 870 youth model pump for my other son, i cut the stocks on both guns to fit them i even added pieces back on as they got older until fit into a full stock..

and eventually purchased them full size shotguns one even being a lefty..

here is a pic of the mossberg stock piece back on it.. mikey used this gun for 3-4 years before i out the piece back, the remington was cut twice and i actually put a new stock on it, i might have the old one i do remember colt as a puppy maybe chewing it..

mossbergstock001.jpg

mossbergstock002.jpg

Mossberg 500 20 gauge with a spec ops recoil absorbing stock -- Jake is 70 pounds, definitely on the small side, and can shoot this thing all day. He even handles slugs with a scope out of it. Plenty for deer.

He has a bow but the draw weight is to low for deer, somewhere around 25 pounds. Can't pull 35 and be accurate.

He does have his shotgun hunting license -- 12 years old