1HitCombo

pinning a stock

Hey all. Question about pinning a stock. (sorry if this was already asked/answered elsewhere). I have a complete rifle and want to replace the fixed stock with a magpul str. How do I go about it? Id purchase/install/pin everything myself but I'm pretty sure that would be constructive possession. Do I assemble everything but the actual stock and have an FFL/gunsmith order/install/pin the stock for me? What work can I do and what must I have someone else do?

Thanks

I assume your building it yourself so pin the stock before getting the lower its not illegal unless you have a lower in possession. I'd say just get it and don't worry about it and take your time pinning it . Do you think the ATF is going to kick in your door?

Normally, when you pin the stock, you want to drill into the lower part of the buffer tube and drive a pin thru it. With some epoxy, you should be good. Problem with the STR is that the storage compartment is in the way. You can either remove the storage compartment so you can drill thru it but I thought it was a pain in the arse to do.

Instead, you can fiddle with the locking mechanism so that it will no longer release and hence the stock is no longer adjustable. I've seen options of removing the plunger spring and then epoxy. I opted to stick a roll pin inside the hole. This now prevents the plunger from activating the release. You would need to remove some of the material on edge of the friction lock. When you lock the friction lock on the STR, you cannot see the roll pin and the material removed from the friction lock is barely noticeable.

As for gunsmiths, there is no guarantee that they would do a good job. My buddy recently ordered an AR and had it delivered to a local FFL (I will not name who the FFL is). They removed the battery compartment, pinned the stock and applied epoxy. The battery compartment was installed wrong and was not comfortable when he tried to sight in his rifle. The only way to fix the battery compartment was to remove the stock. He was fiddling with it and the stock came off. He fixed the battery compartment but I would not say the stock is pinned if he can remove it in a minute without any tools.