So what's the law regarding possession and carrying in your place of dwelling if you don't own said place, like my example, I live with my dad, he owns the house and property, so am I legally allowed to have a hand gun in his house since I live in said house and what about carrying am I legally allowed to carry my handgun around the house and property the house is on

Thanks

Is your dads house you legal residence? The address on your license is your home of record. Someone may correct me if I'm wrong but you can carry on your dads property, as long as he has no problem with you doing so.

You are fine if that is your address on your license and you really live there as your main residence. You have to feel confident that if you ever got an illegal possession of a HG charge against you while being there, that you can easily prove in court that it is your primary residence/dwelling. Drivers license address, bills addressed there, credit report listing there, and your personal possessions/bedroom/clutter etc all there.... are just some examples. The law basically wants to stop people from using the exemption as a loophole, as in say you are at a friends house and get charged and you just say "well I live here also, so I'm exempted for carrying here". The state would say "prove you live here"... and so on.