thegerb50

Garand 30-06 vs .308

Commonality of caliber. Do you already have a rifle in either caliber? 30 '06 has more case capacity, but you can't really take advantage of it in a vintage rifle like the Garand due to the higher pressures. From that standpoint, the calibers are equal. I have read that 308 is an inherently more accurate caliber, but I don't recall the source and can't see it mattering much in a service rifle.

At the moment, surplus 30 '06 seems a little cheaper than 308. That may not last as it gets used up.

Sorry I don't have a definite answer. Just trying to throw out facts for you to make a decision.

I am a soon to be a new long gun owner. I have a decent amount of experience with small stuff (22LR) and am finally going to buy my own. I am starting with a 22 most likely a Ruger and a M1 Garand. I know its a big jump I have fired an M1 a few times in the past and I have wanted one since i was 8 so i'm making sure its one of my first purchases. Thank you for your input! I greatly appreciate it.

Go for the classic in 30-06. Surplus ammo is available and plentiful. You can get an adjustable gas plug for about $30 that allows you to shoot whatever off the shelf commercial ammo you feel like. The .308 is a nice caliber but just doesn't do it for me in a Garand. And anything in .308 ,other than the rare Navy or Air Force .308 Garands, is going to be a put together with no historical value. What would you have...... a Garand that possibly your grandfather carried, or one that was put together in some gun shop out of spare parts. Originality all the way.

I have both a 308 and 30-06 Garands. I tend to agree with Lunker on this. I think over time you may find that surplus 30-06 dry up but there is still plenty of 7.62 NATO in use out there. I see usnmars point but if you're looking for a shooter and have a 308 or a more abundant supply in 308, I see no reason not to get one in 308. No one is destroying history by pulling off good original barrels from Garands and rebarreling them in 308. Virtually every Garand that has been through an arsenal rebuild has been assembled from parts. Even that Correct Grade you pay extra for. Concerned about the quality of a 308 Garand? Get yourself a CMP Special Grade which they offer in 30-06 or 308. This is the closest you are going to get to a new Garand for about $1000. You don't have to concern yourself with the quality of work or customer service from CMP. Probably one of the best bargains if you're looking for a long term, going to be passed down shooter.

The only differences between a 308 or 30-06 Garand as far as a shooter goes is the ammo, the barrel, the size of the gas port, and usually a spacer block to prevent you from trying to load 30-06 (not needed for function). If you let Grandpa shoot it he won't notice the difference. If its a shooter you're concerned about get whatever caliber suits you better.

This is the gas plug that usnmars was talking about. There are several manufacturers of these, they basically all do the same thing.

I have one for "just in case" but have never used it as I have an ample supply of M2 ball and same spec reloads. I know people who use them and have just adjusted it for M2 ball if that's what they are using (takes 5 or 6 rds to my observation).

I was curious because that particular one claims no adjustments needed. Just install and it works dropping pressure by 30%. Don't know if this is bull or factual. Thank you guys for all your input I greatly appreciate it

It can work as it. Just bleeds off excess pressure. The problem with a non adjusting type is if you start using some ammo with a higher pressure than its designed for it won't bleed off enough and damage your M1. I was wrong in saying I have one of those. I have a Schuster which you can adjust.

The Schuster plug is a great addition. Once you get it dialed in, even using surplus ammo, everything seems to be more fluid and less harsh on your op-rod. Worse case situation you open it all the way up and use your M1 like a bolt action.

BTW - Great article in that link. I've never seen actual graphs like that showing the pressure curves. I bought so much HXP back when it was cheap, I am just about to start reloading it with H4895. After seeing this graph at how well the plugs work I am not a paranoid if I had to use commercial ammo in a pinch with the plug. Bottom line stick with standard 150g loads and good maintenance and you should be fine.

For the new M1 guys, just a note of caution, when you are cleaning your M1, turn it upside down so as not to get any bore crud into your gas port opening. A little compressed air when disassembled doesn't hurt to make sure it keeps clear.