RoxyTJ

Beginner Classes

So I went down to Shore Shot last evening to check it out and see what it is all about. I'm sorry to say that it was poor timing on my part as the place was super busy. I just looked around the little store a bit and made my way out the door where I met the Range Master so I got to ask him a few questions so my trip wasn't a total loss. I was going to give them a call this morning to inquire about their classes offered for beginners.

But I received an E-mail this morning from Living Social offering a beginners shooter class for half price at Brick Armory. I didn't even know about Brick Armory until this E-mail.

So my question is this: Which is the best place to take a beginners class? Any suggestions? Of course, the money saved on the half-price Brick Armory deal is great, but not if the class is no good.

Thanks for any input that you may have.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a class at Brick Armory. The only thing I would recommend is, should you decide to buy a gun from them, DO NOT buy it unless it is in stock. There are many reports of them taking deposits on orders and people waiting for guns that never seem to come in without much pestering of ownership.

Thank you for the heads up. I'll remember that when it comes time for me to purchase something. Speaking of which, when purchasing a firearm, do I get to try it out first before actually buying it? (God only know when that day will be for me as I haven't even received my FID card yet.)

Thank you for the heads up. I'll remember that when it comes time for me to purchase something. Speaking of which, when purchasing a firearm, do I get to try it out first before actually buying it? (God only know when that day will be for me as I haven't even received my FID card yet.)

Linda, for that I recommend Shore Shot. They have a wall full of rental guns in different calibers. They let you switch between any and all of the guns in one caliber for free (i.e. for one rental, I can try all of their 9mm pistols). I have also found that the rental fees get waived if you purchase from them. If you need to order a gun that is not in inventory, you do not have to pay until it comes in.

If you know exactly what you want, then this forum has a good number of vendors that can get it for you at a good price.

In addition to what lunker said, post up what you are looking to buy. Many here are willing to let you shoot what ever they own before you make the decision to buy.

The thing is that I am so new to all of this. I don't even know what I want to buy or even try. I've only shot a .20 shotgun once (that is what got me started into this) and an air rifle a couple of times. I have never shot a pistol so I have no idea about them. So I am a total beginner here. I'm thinking maybe if I take the beginner's class, I'd get more of an idea of what I like and don't like plus learn the basic safety and handling. I'm on my own here, just me, myself, and I, so I'm trying to learn everything I can whether it be by classes, computer, literature, and this forum. I read and hear about different calibers and types and manufacturers and to be honest, it means nothing to me. So I do a lot of googling of the different terminology that I hear and read about so I have an idea of what is being discussed. It is frustrating at times, but hey, learning something new isn't always easy now is it? Good thing I enjoy learning and trying new things.

Take an NRA Basic Pistol, SHotgun or Rifle course. Select your course based on the opportunity handle a variety of firearms. I took Basic Pistol with shootnj, and I got my hands on over a dozen different handguns. Gun owners love to show off their guns, so make nice here and folks will offer to let you shoot theirs....pay for the ammo. :-)

This is a fun hobby, and the majority of people you talk to are super cool, friendly and generous. Welcome.

My advice would be to start by renting and shooting a 22 pistol at Shore Shot. The have semi-autos and revolvers. You may decide you like one type over another, and you won't develop a flinch due to unexpected recoil or noise. It will cheaply get you to focus on fundamentals of shooting. Once you have basic fundamentals down, you can move on to larger calibers.

Once you move up in caliber, don't fall into the trap of picking a small gun because you are smaller than most men. More weight = more recoil reduction. Most of the easiest guns to shoot are on the heavier side. I would suggest you try finding the biggest framed/gripped gun that is comfortable for you. From there you can work down in size and continue seeing what is comfortable for you. I would suggest trying a Beretta 92 (if the grip is not too large), a CZ 75/85 (nice because their grip is smaller but the gun is fairly heavy because it is steel), any single stack Sig Sauers. For all I know, you may end up being a recoil junkie and want a subcompact Glock. To begin with though, take baby steps so you don't get intimidated along the way.

My advice would be to start by renting and shooting a 22 pistol at Shore Shot. The have semi-autos and revolvers. You may decide you like one type over another, and you won't develop a flinch due to unexpected recoil or noise. It will cheaply get you to focus on fundamentals of shooting. Once you have basic fundamentals down, you can move on to larger calibers.

Once you move up in caliber, don't fall into the trap of picking a small gun because you are smaller than most men. More weight = more recoil reduction. Most of the easiest guns to shoot are on the heavier side. I would suggest you try finding the biggest framed/gripped gun that is comfortable for you. From there you can work down in size and continue seeing what is comfortable for you. I would suggest trying a Beretta 92 (if the grip is not too large), a CZ 75/85 (nice because their grip is smaller but the gun is fairly heavy because it is steel), any single stack Sig Sauers. For all I know, you may end up being a recoil junkie and want a subcompact Glock. To begin with though, take baby steps so you don't get intimidated along the way.

This.

I would only caution you to watch your rental costs/ammo (you'll have to buy theirs if you rent/range fees. These can add up since the ammo is marked up. If you think you're in the market, try a few .22's out and make the call. A good reliable .22 pistol can easily be had for under $500.00 So, spring for one. If you don't like it, sell it and get a different one (chances are you won't though. You'll just get another one). With what it was costing me to rent, I bought my first .22 twice over.

This.

I would only caution you to watch your rental costs/ammo (you'll have to buy theirs if you rent/range fees. These can add up since the ammo is marked up. If you think you're in the market, try a few .22's out and make the call. A good reliable .22 pistol can easily be had for under $500.00 So, spring for one. If you don't like it, sell it and get a different one (chances are you won't though. You'll just get another one). With what it was costing me to rent, I bought my first .22 twice over.

Good call. Another reason I said to start with 22 is that you can't get too wiped out by non-member pricing on ammo (Shore Shot's is pretty brutal). It is a reason to become a member if you think shooting is something you will be doing more of.

I just completed Basic Pistol with Green Academy (www.gappnj.com) yesterday and can say that it was well worth the time and money. Great staff, great content and great students.

I've heard great things about their courses. What guns did you get to handle?

Like others have said I would suggest taking a Basic pistol or even a First Shots pistol course before you go on your own.

I would also recommend taking the course from someone who makes there living as an instructor, not just a range officer who will instruct you for 1/2 an hour.

They maintain business by word of mouth and reviews so they have a real good incentive to teach you and make it fun also.

Look down at the vendors section of the forum there are many good instructors here.

I've heard great things about their courses. What guns did you get to handle?

I'll stick with caliber as the brands of the semi-autos are muddled in my mind... .38/.357 Ruger revolver, .22 single action revolver, .22 semi, .40 semi, .223 semi and 9mm. Nothing that I haven't shot beofre, but definitely nice to shoot multiple calibers in one session. Great staff, great info and great experience!

Thanks everyone! What a wealth of information!!! I will check into Green Academy as well. Since I work in Cream Ridge, Fort Dix is just down the road. I will definitely take a starters class hopefully some time in November. I'll let you know how it goes.

I just purchased my first firearm recently. Before buying, I had only shot a few guns, including 22 rifles, 22 semi auto pistol, 22 revolver, a 45 semi auto (wow what a difference!) and a couple of 12 gauge shotguns while skeet shooting (that was a blast). From all of my research I had made up my mind that I wanted a 22 semi auto handgun because, as a beginner, I felt that it would be best for me to start there and also the cost of shooting it would be low. After plenty of google searches (which eventually led me to this forum) and all of the help I got from people I know and the people on this forum, I finally purchased a Ruger SR22. I'm extremelly happy with my purchase and can say that the hobby is addicting. I try to go to the range once a week if I can and always enjoy it. My decision was based on my visits to several shops handling different handguns, the price of ammo for the particular firearms I was looking at and the reliability of the brands I was searching for. Do as much research as possible and definitely go out to shops and look at different firearms, handle them, ask questions at the shops and also here. In the end, it will be worth it. Good luck!