Sign in to follow this  
tuktuk

home security systems

looking to get home security system for the new house. know nothing about it and the name of the companies know only from some tv ads. so help the brother out what and who would u recommend ? thank u.

ps I want to do doors and windows

the thread was not as detail discussion as I would like it to be. we have several pro here. can they tell me what I should get and what I shouldn't. for doors, for windows, panels, sensors>>> everything

I am in north jersey, Bergen cointy and for now I got name : Sonia Security out of wyckof .

u guys know anybody else? as I understand pros recommend against big chain companies ...

speaking as a DIY....No one could tell you what to get as far as coverage without doing a site walk-thru. Those big companies are making a killing on folks at $30 + a month. If you are handy you could do it yourself but if you go with an installer ask he (or she) if the system they are installing is an “Industry Standard System” in other words could the system be monitored by any UL Listed Central station? More than likely the local guys will be installing an “Industry Standard Systems”. That is important if your monitoring company raises the rates and you want to have your system monitored elsewhere for cheaper when your contract is up. Those nationwide companies tend to use proprietary panels, that means their systems could only be monitored by them so if want to change monitoring services with a proprietary panel you would need to change your system as well. Ademco makes very nice systems that could be monitored by any UL Listed Central Station.