LegacyMr

Starting Off

Im new to new jersey coming from virginia to find out things are pretty strict but i just turn 20 and getting into hunting i completed the hunters course over the internet it was very different can i just go to a gun store and buy a shotgun like i was able to do in virginia

I am very sorry to tell you but NJ is extremely strict with guns. Before you are able to purchase a firearm or in some cases even handle one you must obtain a firearms ID card. This requires a FBI criminal background check, mental health check, fingerprinting and three non-family refrences. In total it takes about three months and roughly $75-$100 dollars. You also need this card to purchase any ammo which can be used in a pistol including .22 ammo. You must also be 21 to purchase a handgun and I believe 18 to purchase a rifle. If you are getting a semi auto shotgun you cannot have a pistol grip and the rounds count must be less than 6 shots in the gun. Pump shotguns I believe are really not limited on round counts are pistol grips. I also just started getting into hunting myself and find it very confusing on the rules. What are you looking to hunt? Also what area of NJ are you moving to perhaps I could recommend a range in your area? I hope this information helps and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Man That Is Something I Was Able To But My Shotgun In VA I Just Needed Valid I.d And I Had To Sign A Few Papers In My Name So What Your Saying Its Going To Take Months Before I Get An FID Well I Can Wait And I Just Like Hunting Deer It Really Wasnt Much Where I Was Cause The Game Police Where Very Stressful Cause People In My Town Was Killing With CrossBows Off Hunting Ground Well Thanks For All Your Info I Live In Elizabeth Its Pretty Rough Any Place Where I Can Fill Out For This FID License? Also I Notice That Your Walmarts Don't Sell Guns In Them Well Thats All I Have To Say Really

Welcome to Nj and the forum. I grew up in Elizabeth, got out about 12 years ago. You have to apply for your FID at the Elizabeth police department.

You will need these forms to start with:

http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-066.pdf

The pd will get you set up with finger printing info. I have two friends in Elizabeth that recently went through the process. One got his FID in 9 months, the other took 13 months. The Elizabeth pd is not gun friendly and anything but helpful during the process. Good Luck!