Babyface Finster

Question about a private party pistol purchase

My friend's dad is in declining health and has been more in that out of assisted living facilities for the last few months. He has an old S&W .38 special revolver that he was issued from some organization back in the early '50's. I'm not sure if he was a police officer, security guard or what.

The gun has basically been sitting in a closet for the last few decades. My friend's mother knows nothing about guns and would likely turn it in to the local PD when cleaning out the house. My friend's wife will not allow a gun in the house.

So, I offered to buy the thing because:

1) Why not? It's an old Smith, it's cool and he doesn't think his dad would even want any money for it though I would insist.

2) My friend will be able to meet me at the range and shoot his dad's gun

3) If his wife ever changes her mind he can buy it back from me and it will still be in the family

My question is, are there any issues in buying a gun that was acquired in-state before the whole FID and P2P process existed? There will be no paperwork with this gun though I am sure he has owned it since it was new. Do I just get a fresh permit and close the deal?