FisherDan

Harvard Study: Gun Control is Counterproductive in Europe

Sorry if this was already posted here (I didn't see it). This is an interesting study out of Harvard, published in a peer-reviewed journal. A summary of the document is here:

http://theacru.org/acru/harvard_study_gun_control_is_counterproductive/

The whole document is here: http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf

Some key conclusions borrowed from the summary in the first link:

(1) The study found that 9 European nations with the lowest rates of gun ownership have a combined murder rate 3 times higher than that of the nine nations with the highest rates of gun ownership. Norway has the highest rate of gun ownership in Western Europe, yet possesses the lowest murder rate. In contrast, Holland's murder rate is nearly the worst, despite having the lowest gun ownership rate in Western Europe.

(2) The study also shows that Russia's murder rate is four times higher than the U.S. and more than 20 times higher than Norway. Russia practically eradicated private gun ownership over the course of decades of totalitarian rule and police state methods of suppression. Needless to say, very few Russian murders involve guns.

I sure do hope this gets considered in the gun control debate that we anticipate in 2013.

Good find! Might I suggest a sticky thread with items such as this that may be easily referenced for the impending debate on how much of our remaining rights we still need to relinquish?

Good idea for fast reference for stats and discussion points. As long as they are from verifiable and credible sources.

anybody know the date of publication for this research? I understand getting this amt of data is not trivial and will almost always be at least 3-5 years old, but I'd like to know if this was published in the last week or a couple years ago.

EDIT: Found it...March 2007

http://law-journals-books.vlex.com/source/harvard-journal-law-public-policy-2975/issue_nbr/%2330%232

I've sent it to the whitehouse page for thoughts on "gun violence":

I DO NOT support banning firearms or limiting their capability. I am OPPOSED to further restrictions. The newly crafted AWB SHOULD NOT be passed into law. The people of the USA have the right to firearms in common use, including standard semi-automatic rifles of intermediate caliber (5.56/.223, 7.62, etc) and fed by magazines of any practical size.

Have your people read this and consider it without emotional or ideological blinders:

http://www.law.harva...auseronline.pdf

Thanks for the link! I already used this. It's going to be hard for an anti to claim Harvard is a right wing biased source.

One thing, the paper actually cautions against taking the findings a step too far and saying gun control is not only unproductive but counter-productive. They basicly claim guns are a marginal variable and that other socioeconomic factors play a much larger role in murder/crime rates.

Information bubbles are comforting. What part of their methodolgy did you disagree with?

Track record.  That speaks volumes.  And there will be volumes of anything slightly useful before I remotely consider reviewing this latest nonsense. This is the most manipulable type of statistical nonsense in the world. The results are never independent of the predilections of the analysts in the 21st Century.