Dr_Rambow

Buying Long arms in PA.

Ok, so I know I've looked this up before but I can't seem to find the answer again.

Is it legal to purchase long arms in PA and bring them back to NJ with no additional hoops to jump through (provided the long arms are not banned or otherwise questionable)?

I'm going to a live auction next week (I've been looking for a half decent WWI '03 Springfield) and before I get my hopes up about anything I wanted to make sure if I need to do any FFL transfers or other such nonsense.

I know about taking guns from NJ into other states, but not so much with bringing them in.

Thanks,

-Todd

Yes. Bring out a printed Certificate of Eligibility with you. Give them a copy (which they may promptly throw in the trash) and take one home with the rifle. You have complied with NJ state law. Of course make sure the gun is NJ compliant (no worries in the case of a 1903 Springfield).

Being a new shooter this interests me. Can you please expand on the process?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This is the process:

If dealer and gun is NJ legal they run a PICS check (5$). Fill out a NJ COE , 1 for you and 1 for the seller. Go home with long gun.

If its a non FFL seller you have to do this via you NJ FFL

EDIT: based on Qel Hoth`s Post .....If there is a PA FFL present he can do a transfer to you from a PA resident (long guns)

Read the NJ laws stickies and there is more information.

Hopefully the PICS system won't be overwhelmed still at that point. I was at Sarco today and PICS checks were taking 40 minutes to get someone on the phone. I can only image what that's going to be like at an auction if the wait is still that long, auction house PICS checks are usually the worst part about going to an auction when things are normal. I would plan on having to go back a day or two later to pick up your guns if things don't calm down by then.

I don't kiss and tell about items I intend on buying. I lost an incredible experimental helmet from WWI because I posted it on a forum and people found it and outbid me. The auction house appraised it at $50 but it ended up going for over $1500 after the buyers fee. It could have been mine!!! It haunts me to this day.

Anyway, thank you for the good news. I am very tired of jumping through the hoops of this state, it's nice not needing to worry. I'll print a few COEs to take with me and call it a day.

Hopefully the PICS system won't be overwhelmed still at that point. I was at Sarco today and PICS checks were taking 40 minutes to get someone on the phone. I can only image what that's going to be like at an auction if the wait is still that long, auction house PICS checks are usually the worst part about going to an auction when things are normal. I would plan on having to go back a day or two later to pick up your guns if things don't calm down by then.

I can't attend the auction in person, I was planning on previewing (at which time I can sort out the details of buying them) and leaving some absentee bids. I wouldn't be able to pick them up until later anyway, so it works out.

This is the process:

If dealer and gun is NJ legal they run a PICS check (5$). Fill out a NJ COE , 1 for you and 1 for the seller. Go home with long gun.

If its a non FFL seller you have to do odo this via you NJ FFL

Read the NJ laws stickies and there is more information.

Not entirely accurate, a sale between a private citizen in PA and one in NJ can be processed at any FFL, not just an NJ one.

What time were you at sarco? I was there from about 1:30 to 4 buying a mosin. Their network went down and then the 30-45 minute NICS call...

I was always told that you cannot buy a firearm out of state with just a NJ COE form. I know in state you can buy a long gun with a COE form, NJ FAID card with matching DL. I think all out of state long guns must go through a dealer (FFL). I am no expert though.

As for the long wait at SARCO. You guys are lucky! I have been hearing that a NCIC check in state is running a 2-3 days wait. I bought a long gun last week and NCIC was only taking faxes. The fax machine was busy and I had to leave my FFL dealer and come back the next day to complete the transfer. He called me today and told me there is a 2-3 day lag now.

I tried to buy a firearm in Virginia this year had the 2500 in my pocket then the lady asked me about my jersey license and said she can only sell it to a va resident but if I bought it she would ship it to jersey. But idk about pa have never bought one

I didn't know there were firearms actually available for sale these days in PA LOL :)Happy hunting. Hope you get a deal.

I tried to buy a firearm in Virginia this year had the 2500 in my pocket then the lady asked me about my jersey license and said she can only sell it to a va resident but if I bought it she would ship it to jersey.  But idk about pa have never bought one

On a federal basis, you can buy long guns from FFLs in any state as long as the FFL honors the laws of your state. I don't know if there is something weird about VA, but my guess is the dealer simply doesn't want to take the time or risk of trying to figure out all of the crazy NJ BS. Sorta like how you guys sometimes have problems ordering legal ammo or parts online. They just don't want to be bothered when "NJ" pops up.PA obviously shares NJ's largest border and it's worthwhile for more FFL here to do business with you guys. Not all of them, but more of them.

What time were you at sarco? I was there from about 1:30 to 4 buying a mosin. Their network went down and then the 30-45 minute NICS call...

I saw few people standing at the counter with Mosins, I was temped to pick up something but wasn't going to wait for you guys to get cleared and then wait another 45 minutes. I'm not sure their network was down, rather I think it was just overwhelmed like everywhere else right now.

That must be a long ride for you coming from cherry hill.

I saw few people standing at the counter with Mosins, I was temped to pick up something but wasn't going to wait for you guys to get cleared and then wait another 45 minutes. I'm not sure their network was down, rather I think it was just overwhelmed like everywhere else right now.

That must be a long ride for you coming from cherry hill.

Nah, their network really was down, I was half way through my 4473 and it just went away...

My mosin was sitting behind the counter and some guy came up and said "that's a cool looking rifle, what is it?" Told him it was a mosin, russian rifle, and he said "Wow, I'm from Russia, where are they?" Then him and, I assume, his son came up to the counter with one each.

It is a bit of a ride, just about 2 hours, I have family in Easton though, so I stopped by afterwards.

ROFLMAO, I went to IMA too. Showed up and figured they were on lunch so went to sarco.... Great minds think alike

When I realized the door was locked, I called them to ask if they were open that day (since there was no sign on the door saying otherwise) , the lady who answered said somewhat nonchalantly "no, I don't think anybody's there today, I think the guy that is usually there is on vacation". So, now I know they don't take their store hours very seriously, so call ahead before you go.

Nah, their network really was down, I was half way through my 4473 and it just went away...

My mosin was sitting behind the counter and some guy came up and said "that's a cool looking rifle, what is it?" Told him it was a mosin, russian rifle, and he said "Wow, I'm from Russia, where are they?" Then him and, I assume, his son came up to the counter with one each.

You must have been the guy sitting on the stool when I went up to the counter. I saw the other guys with Mosins waiting to do paperwork, I just wasn't going to wait though all that.

I was kind of wondering why the mad rush for Mosins that day, if it was ARs or something, I would understand it, but Mosins aren't on the anti's hit list.

I tried to buy a firearm in Virginia this year had the 2500 in my pocket then the lady asked me about my jersey license and said she can only sell it to a va resident but if I bought it she would ship it to jersey. But idk about pa have never bought one

sadly va is one of the ones that has a state law that doesnt allow them to sell to out of state residents..some others only allow sales to residents of Bordering states. Federally, "Contiguous" used to mean only bordering, but now it means you can purchase a long gun in any state that allows it in the continental US from a FFL

Over the past 3 months I have purchased "assault weapons" :rolleyes: in both Pa and NC. went through each states process for purchase. North Carolina guys laughed at me when I showed them the Certificated of eligibiltiy, Then asked if they needed my FID and they said whats that? I was the entertainment for the day in that shop.

After the purchaseing process I drove home with my "assault weapons"! :rolleyes:

Myself and family members have purchased multiple firearms in PA over the years and it's never been an issue. In all my instances they had me fill our all the same forms I would have filled out in NJ. Typically I find that if the dealer is unfamliar with what do to they won't sell to you at all just be upfront that you're from NJ and if they give the go ahead then your fine. In the case of an auction house I'd call them ahead of time to make sure that it's alright. Even if it's perfecly legal some places just don't want to deal with NJ folk regardless.