Sign in to follow this  
lexcruiser

Question regarding rifle purchase

Wasn't able to find anything specific to this question (search thinks "FFL" is too short a search term! Heh!)..

I'm planning to purchase a long gun from a buddy who lives in Long Island. I know we have to go through an FFL but what I was wondering is, would it be an issue for him to drive out to my FFL here in nj to do the transfer as opposed to shipping it to my FFL?

Would he be in violation of any transport laws while driving to the FFL in nj? Would I be better off driving to him instead to do the transfer at his FFL in LI?

Thanks in advance guys!

Check with your FFL first to make sure he'll entertain a face-to-face of this sort. Second, the moment your friend crosses the state line, he must comply with NJ gun laws so make sure he knows them! Given the cost of tolls and gas, you could very like have him ship it at comparable cost or even a savings.

Thanks for the feedback guys. He's a friend of mine and was thinking about heading out here for range day. Since he was heading out, he thought he'd bring the rifle too which he wanted to sell to me.

Good call on calling the FFL first. I'll check w/ them to make sure they'll even do that.