koontz946

looking for a revolver

Hey all, I'm looking for a revolver for my dad.

He has a P2P that is going to expire soon (still has an extension available though), and wants a nice-looking, larger caliber revolver (compared to his 9mm semi).

He said he would prefer a wooden grip, .44 model. Probably would prefer new, as well.

It'd be for home defense, so price range <$1000 say? I'm inexperienced with revolvers though, so any information is greatly appreciated.

As someone who really likes his revolvers, if you are going with a Smith&Wesson to be used for self defense my advice is get an older one. They were made better and don't have that infernal lock that jams up and turns your gun into a paperweight. Don't let people tell you it's an internet rumor. My 629 jammed on me at the range and it took the resident gunsmith to get it un-messed. I sold it the week after. Imagine if it jammed while being used to defend yourself.

Take it from Mas Ayoob...

http://backwoodshome...rnal-gun-locks/

look no further than s&w 629 talo 3" shooting 44specials for self defense.

s&w 29 classic nickel is also nice but you gotta be careful cleaning nickel (also comes in blued)

44 mags for self defense may just kick too hard for follow up shots

big bore barrels are awesome

Not to hijack the thread but any suggestions for places with decent selection of used revolvers in north jersey?

Bullet Hole has some. However, it seems to me that most revolver owners keep them. Less on the used market that semi's.

C

Bullet Hole has some. However, it seems to me that most revolver owners keep them. Less on the used market that semi's.

C

I think semi pistols outsell revolvers by a ratio of 3 to 1.

Also, revolver owners are more devoted to their wheelguns. Its hertiage to the old west.

S&W are very nice. I have a .44 mag M29 Mountain Gun Blued that is fun to shoot with either .44 Spl for Mag in it.

Don't overlook Taurus. They have been bad-mouthed at times, but I have a snubby in 9mm and it works great.

They also have a lifetime warranty and stand behind it.

As far as caliber goes: .45LC and .44 Spl have about the same recoil. The nice part about the .44 Mag revolvers are you can go up and down in power as you feel a need too. Another point to consider if you are talkling about HD is flash and noise. With a short barrel you can easily be temporarily blinded and deaft after the first two shots. If you are using a snubby there are custom ammo loads out there that burn faster so you don't get as much flash from it. All it takes is money!

Best of luck. If your Dad wants to try a S&W .44 mag, PM me.

Bob