Suburban Commando

Clinton PD Paperwork: Employment Verification!?

A good friend of mine wants to get her FID and lives in Clinton Township. When she picked up the paperwork, not only was there a ton of ancillary stuff but also an "Employment Verification" sheet which tells her employer she is getting a firearm and that they need to confirm she has a job. How is this legal!?

She works in a very sensitive employment field and one where getting a firearm should be none of the business of her employer. Her employer is also a liberal and anti-gun. Any advice?

Those extra forms are ILLEGAL. Yet many towns do this. She should contact the State police Firearms Unit and inform them of her town's additional requirements. Additionally, she should contact the New Jersey Second Amendment Society. They have a great track record of getting towns to back off from their illegal requirements.

www.NJ2AS.com

BEFORE crying wolf, you need to check that form as it may not at all be legal. You may also need to confer for NJ2AS as well. However, as the STS-033 CLEARLY requires employment information and the investigating officer can chose his or her means to verify that employment. FYI - trying the self-employed/sole proprieter route of the past is no longer flying because they simply verify with the Division of Taxation. Now, that form she may have gotten may or may not be out of line. My local PD uses a simple form for this, literally checkboxes and a fill in the blank, and makes no mention of the purpose for the verification EXCEPT that I have given permission to verify employment to the PD, which is what you do by signing the STS-033. My PD's standard forms are mailed direct for references and employment verification, but I've seen both of them. If her form in Clinton specifically states for a firearm, I would then agree it's out of line and probably out of line on the basis it was given to her to have completed.

Any extra form or requirement not specifically listed is specifically illegal. If they required you to fill out a form that turned out to be a page from a children's coloring book it would still be illegal.

Ok, this is getting confusing. The state form clearly asks for employment information. The paperwork for my township has three sections:

1. 2 references

2. Fingerprint card information which includes

a. Name, sex, dob, address, ssn, race, phone # etc.

b. occupation, name, address, and phone # of employer AND my e-mail address

3. This is how it's titled....

MONTGOMERY TOWNSHIP POLICE DEPARTMENT FIREARMS APPLICATION/ADDRESS HISTORY

and they ask for an address history.

This is from the township website

"3 forms also required by Montgomery: a references form, a fingerprint card info form and an address history form"

So my question is whether a local township can require this additional information?

This is from the state police website when discussing forms and paperwork.

For any further information outlining specific requirements, contact your local police department or nearest New Jersey State Police station.

This is getting mighty confusing and I have and I have an appt. to submit my paperwork tomorrow.

Thanks all.

I just went to put in my application today (Teaneck) and they apparently also ask for a list of all residences for the past 15 years, all employers for the past 10 years, and proof of employment ("We will contact your employer to verify employment or you may provide us with a copy of your pay stub or a copy of your W-2 tax form)."

According to NJ 2C:58-3, the only mention of employment is "Applications for permits to purchase a handgun and for firearms purchaser identification cards shall be in the form prescribed by the superintendent and shall set forth the name, residence, place of business..." but makes no mention of proof of employment, or history of employment and residency.

The statute then goes on to say "There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter."

So it seems like this extra information is not legal. The proof of employment and history information seems to be coming from the town, not the state.

What's the best course of action here? Contact NJSP? I have no desire to give them any of this information if I'm not required to.