Sign in to follow this  
Old Glock guy

Encouraging letter from Senator Van Drew

I wrote to him recently, even though he is down in Cape May, because I know him from school, and I know he is sympathetic to the gun rights cause. Received a lengthy, thoughtful reply, part of which was:

"Thank you for January 11 email in which you express opposition to the nearly 20 new anti-gun bills that have been introduced recently in the Legislature. I have also shared your email with my Assembly colleagues, Matt Milam and Nelson Albano. I agree with you as do my Assembly colleagues. What the state should do is enforce the current gun laws and focus, as well, on background checks on those attempting to buy guns, and we will continue to do our best to preserve the 2nd Amendment rights of law abiding citizens rather than create more restrictive gun laws. I also appreciate your kind words about the U.S. Senate.

Assemblymen Milam and Albano and I strongly support the preservation of our 2nd Amendment rights and have a long record of voting for legislation to support those rights, and voting against bills that unduly and unfairly restrict the rights of law abiding citizens. We also are proud of the support we have received from gun owners from across our state, and from the NRA, which has given us an A rating, and such statewide organizations as the National Shooting Sports Foundation and the New Jersey Association of Firearms Retailers.

It is important to know that New Jersey is the most restrictive state in the country with respect to right to carry, for example. We believe New Jersey, which is to a large extent “gun-phobic,” has gone overboard in a way that is not constitutional, nor are the restrictions necessarily rational.

We have to keep in mind that currently, we are assuming that virtually no one is carrying a weapon because of our restrictive laws, yet the reality is that criminals, gang members and other without question carrying weapons, and I can guarantee that anyone who has

been in one of the large cities in our state has probably brushed someone who is carrying a gun – illegally, unfortunately.

The principal reason Assemblymen Milam and Albano and I drafted our right to carry legislation, S2431/A3544, is for those who work in dangerous places to have the opportunity to protect themselves, which, because they are denied a right to carry permit, they can’t do, despite having very good reasons for applying for a permit.

Our point about all this is that people in these situations, which clearly demonstrates the need and appropriateness of having a right to carry permit, are denied these permits, which supports our view that the state has gone too far and has treated this issue irrationally without fully thinking it through."

We need more legislators in the State House like him!

He did try getting the CCW "justifiable need" removed from the law a couple years ago, but failed. I applaud him for being pro-gun.

He only lives about 2.5 miles from me and is a volunteer firefighter in the town just to the south of me.