triton200

New guy tips

Ok so I got the black gun bug, I wanted to share my build experience with you to help out some begginers like me.

First mistake i made was i bought the 1st one.... now i have become obesessed with building my own.

1. Be patient and research

2. Make a list of wants and needs

3. Hide credit card while shopping online!

4. Do not be afraid to ask for suggestions or Google any stupid question you have.

5. Do not settle for something because what you want isnt available, in time it will be.

6. If you cannot find it on gun sites try amazon they have alot of hardware just watch alot is not milispec

If your like me you want all your stuff yesterday. Well in todays market thinking like that is gonna cost you $$$$$. I find myself constantally putting stuff in the cart then deleteing it because i come to my senses and wont pay to dollar.

My build is gonna be 2 22lr on AR platform one is NFA and the other is ATI. I have a CMMG kit for one and am trying to decide what i want for the second after 1st one is done. I have one upper on order but who knows when that will come. So i am looking for other options for my other one.

Ill post more as i go along with pics. Please feel free to comment,

Jim

I have a 556 already. And i went with 22 for cost of shooting and where i shoot is only 25 yards. No need to make a 100yd plus gun if i dont regularly shoot that far. A 556 is in the future but not now. Also my son doesnt like the recoil of the 556. He is new to shooting and i dont wanna break his shoulder and have him shy away.

I have a 556 already. And i went with 22 for cost of shooting and where i shoot is only 25 yards. No need to make a 100yd plus gun if i dont regularly shoot that far. A 556 is in the future but not now. Also my son doesnt like the recoil of the 556. He is new to shooting and i dont wanna break his shoulder and have him shy away.

Recoil? On a 5.56 AR??? There's barely any, so I'm confused by that.

22LR is good for 100 yards, and 556 is defiantly good for more than 100. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For a 15 year old first year shooting its can be alot if you never shot anything before. He's my step son and its also a bonding thing its the first thing weve done together that he's into. With the 556 he's still flintching and pulling his shots. So with the 22 he can get used to the AR platform and learn how to shoot.

We have a S & W mp15-22 already and hell i shoot that 10-1 over my 556. If i still had my farm with my own range, 556 would be the build but where im at now it only 25yards so 22 it is.

For a 15 year old first year shooting its can be alot if you never shot anything before. He's my step son and its also a bonding thing its the first thing weve done together that he's into. With the 556 he's still flintching and pulling his shots. So with the 22 he can get used to the AR platform and learn how to shoot.

We have a S & W mp15-22 already and hell i shoot that 10-1 over my 556. If i still had my farm with my own range, 556 would be the build but where im at now it only 25yards so 22 it is.

What kind of muzzle brake do you have? The sound may be causing him to flinch. Especially if you are shooting it inside.

Gonna start my build this weekend.

I have my 2 lowers, one is an ATI the other is a NFA. I cannot believe the difference in the finish of the 2 polymer lowers. The ATI finish is way better. Ill post pics later of both.

And for guys looking 22 uppers i found a few manufactuers who are only 6 weeks or less behind. Spikes Armilite, and TACCOM. CMMG is 6-9 months behind. Warning Spikes is $$$.

Not sure its whatever is stock on whindham's. Its loud as hell. I am new to the AR platform also. The noise doesn't bother me but he pulls just about every shot. Even with a bipod

Might be the comp. Double up on ear protection. Use ear plugs and muffs over top. Especially indoors.

Good points from the OP. When your on the hunt for parts, it's easy to get overwhelmed and go on a buying frenzy. Sad to say, a quick 5-10min judgement call can mean getting it or sold-out. Wasn't like that in the past and shouldn't be like that ever, but it is. :(

Sorry for straying from your initial topic. My thoughts were that your going to an indoor range since you only have 25yds to work with. Rifles with comps are loud outdoors based on where you're standing and are insane indoors. The reflection and echo'ing of the blast can be troublesome. Bad habits can start easily when you're new to it. I always recommend doubling up on the ear protection. I even double up outdoors especially when I'm benched next to my friend. We just comb each other's hair with our comps. It helps a bit to wear electronic muffs on top of the plugs as I can still faintly hear a conversation. This is my typical combinations:

Plan on talking indoors with rifles or handgun: ear plugs (~31db reduction) and electronic muffs (~26db reduction but amplified for conversation)

Plan to be in my own world indoors or out with rifles: ear plugs (~31db reduction) and standard muffs (~31db reduction)

Plan on talking outdoors with handgun: electronic muffs (~26db reduction)

The 22 approach is good and cheap as a beginner's platform. You can teach fundamentals without burning a hole in your pockets. Sound reduction is one way to reduce flinching and is very effective. The second thing to look at is trigger control. Focus on the sight picture and SQUEEZE the trigger slowly, not slap it. Worry about the sight alignment and not when the trigger breaks. Follow through and hold the trigger down after the shot breaks, then reset. For now, slow and accurate. Speed will come in time.

I hope to set up a 22 in the future as well so I can introduce my kids to this world when they grow older.

We finished lower build this weekend and was a success . But stupid me didn't take pics. Took it to the range on my 556 and shot great. Only prob was pmags wouldn't let me use bolt release. And the problem with my son is solved with new lower. It has less recoil. He out shot me at the range.

Glad to hear the successor's schooling the old guy. :)

I notice these builds tend to get finicky. Sometimes, you slap them together and all's well? Other times, it's just one diagnostics after another. Maybe the bolt release is sticky because it's new? I noticed that with mine. With each round sent, everything just seemed to break in and smooth out.