Howard

My latest PLEA to Gov. Christie

Please don't take away my rights or property

Dear Gov. Christie:

Please don’t take away my property! I hope as a Republican you will veto any bill which is designed to take away my property without compensation. As a gun owner I already have NJ 15 round mini magazines for my weapon. Now the assembly wants to take away my property by passing laws to reduce the legal size. First I object to the whole idea in that it will accomplish nothing in the real world to reduce gun violence. Criminals will not obey these laws and there are already hundreds of millions of larger capacity magazines outstanding. Second, if you actually agree with these restrictions you should grandfather any existing owners. Third, if you don’t do that the state should either compensate us for turning these larger ones in or compensate us to have them pinned. I have been told that current law does not even allow a state FFL to pin a used magazine. This represents an unlawful taking, and no Republican should stand for that. I know that I and most other gun owners will remember how you handle this come election time.

Next please do not restrict ammunition sales to face-to-face only. This is another anti-Republican bill which will just raise the cost of ammunition for legal gun owners. There are few choices of where most people in the state can cost effectively buy ammunition in-person. Allowing internet sales greatly reduces our cost, eliminating it will just cost consumers in the state more money without really accomplishing anything. Many online companies require an NJ FID card to sell to us, some don’t. If the intent is to safeguard people, then just require that any shipments to NJ require an FID card, but please do not ban these sales.

Thanks for your understanding and consideration. I look forward to your specific response to these points.